Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Pygmy Yatsubusa 5 neele pine

paul3636
15 years ago

The tips of the Pygmy Yatsubusa 5 needle pine are turning brown.

I didn't see anything that could cause this. We have had a lot of rain and it is kept in an area that has about 70 Percent shade and 30 percent sun. I just put the tree on top of my shed to give it more sun, probably 60 percent sun and thatÂs the best I can do.

I just sprayed them with a 3 in 1 neem oil spray.

Was this the correct thing to do?

Any suggestions?

Help

Paul

Comments (9)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm 90% sure it's the rain, aggravated by the shade. If you can't find a sunnier place to keep it, and can't keep it out of the rain somehow, as well as having it in a fast draining mostly grit mix, you probably will continue to have trouble. The neem oil won't help if conditions don't change.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucy
    The soil is about 50 percent turkey grit with the balance pine bark and turface. Nothing can be done about the sun, just to small a yard.
    In hind site the neem oil will slow water loss but I thought it may be a fungus.
    It can be kept covered when it rains during the day. I'll have to watch the weather report for night rain.
    How about planting it in the ground?
    Any one else having the same problems with pines?
    WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PROTECT YOUR PLANTS.
    Paul

• lucy
    15 years ago

In the ground would certainly help, depending on whether you have drainage issues, but unless it's Nov., you might want to do no more than slip pot it in (without doing any work at all otherwise). However, what would you do in future? Your mix sounds fine. You might also want to pick up some "No Damp" at a garden centre or even a good hardware (with plant section) as a couple of doses might help.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An arborist looked at the pine and said it was blight.

• lucy
    15 years ago

If you mean a real horticulturist, then do whatever he says, but if you mean a guy who cuts street trees for the city, do not. Blight is not that common, and definitely not in store bought bonsai. Plus it's a catch-all name that doesn't necessarily explain a lot.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, a real One and one of the top 5 Arborist and landscape designers in the state.(Also a relative)
    He has taken the tree himself will try to save it.
    Paul

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

From my experience with 6 of these $#@@*&^%@ (and my close bonsai friend) we figure they were a sick joke played on the Bonsai community by Harpo and Zeppo Kiramatsui. We bought them cheap and put them in our growing field, all of the needles did the same thing yours did and remained that way, no better no worse. After 5 years in the ground, in 8 hrs of full sun during a good part of the year, they did exactly nothing.

They didn't grow but they didn't die...they just sort of sat there and be'd a tree (and very small ones). Nothing we did changed anything...they just sat there for 5 years. When we were clearing the field I grabbed one and put it in a Mica pot in a mix of 80% Haydite and 20% small pine bark. The mix was so open that water ran right through without slowing down.

Within about 3 weeks it was breaking buds...go figure. They had to be the most uninteresting trees I ever worked with and yes, the one in the pot retained the needle discoloration, I gave it away.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also purchased a KO-KU-HO pine dwrf variety. Any one have experience with them?
    What dwarf pines have you or anyone else had luck with?
    Paul

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

Hmmmmm, I don't know if dwarf pines and luck should be in the same sentence LOL, then again I always went for larger trees for bonsai. The little ones take more care larger ones are more forgiving in most respects.

I think it was Lucy that posted somewhere in here that 'most' bonsai are made from larger trees and then styled smaller rather than growing 'up' from a smaller tree.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022