Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fukien tea wilting

Posted by valvedsteel 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 10:51

Hi friends,

I've had an 8 year old fukien for the past 6 months, staying indoors by a window in my Orlando apartment. All has been great until I came down to my home in Miami for summer break. The outside is much hotter so we keep the AC on 75 on average. Just a few days ago I noticed the leaves were very easy to remove yet still green. Now the last few leaves are wilted and browning.

Maybe I used too much Fertilizer (jacks 20-20-20)? Not enough water? What could it have been? Is there anything I can do??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fukien tea wilting

If this is the one you posted a picture of there are probably 2 problems (not knowing about the window proximity). Of course they could live outside, in Florida, year round anyway.
It's in a small shallow pot which doesn't hold much moisture and living in 75 degree air-con. You moved it and made changes to it's environment which they don't like at all.
The air-con dries everything out which is the opposite of what it needs...humidity. Yes, giving it more water will help a lot. No doubt someone in here will suggest a humidity tray, that won't do much good with the air-con unless you can have one the size of a Toyota which ain't too practical in a home.

I wouldn't over water it but keep the soil moist, it's a tropical so it will probably bounce back after a while. You just made too many changes for it to handle all at once.

As an example; my trees live on my back patio/courtyard here. Most of the year is around 100 degrees+ but with 100% humidity -- they get watered hard once a day and the area hosed down a few times a day. The rest of the year (3-4 months) it rains 24/7. Most of the time the FT's are happy but still pitch a fit once in a while and will drop leaves, it's normal, they are beautiful trees but also a royal pain at times.

Bob

o
RE: fukien tea wilting

If this is the one you posted a picture of there are probably 2 problems (not knowing about the window proximity). Of course they could live outside, in Florida, year round anyway.
It's in a small shallow pot which doesn't hold much moisture and living in 75 degree air-con. You moved it and made changes to it's environment which they don't like at all.
The air-con dries everything out which is the opposite of what it needs...humidity. Yes, giving it more water will help a lot. No doubt someone in here will suggest a humidity tray, that won't do much good with the air-con unless you can have one the size of a Toyota which ain't too practical in a home.

I wouldn't over water it but keep the soil moist, it's a tropical so it will probably bounce back after a while. You just made too many changes for it to handle all at once.

As an example; my trees live on my back patio/courtyard here. Most of the year is around 100 degrees+ but with 100% humidity -- they get watered hard once a day and the area hosed down a few times a day. The rest of the year (3-4 months) it rains 24/7. Most of the time the FT's are happy but still pitch a fit once in a while and will drop leaves, it's normal, they are beautiful trees but also a royal pain at times.

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here