Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_guy

Jin and Shari on Barberry (Berberis) What is your take on this?

gardener_guy
13 years ago

Hi,

This Barberry is definitely not a finished tree. I am working the dead wood. The reason for all the dead wood is the treed had 4 extremely large branches in places where I did not like. The branches created reverse taper. It was a bad look for the bonsai. So I did some creative thinking and chucked the bad branches away. I then had to create the deadwood so it would look natural.

I bought Lime Sulfur for this tree. It is coming in the mail and is not here yet. I want to Lime Sulfur all dead wood. I want it to help make this tree beautiful.

Here is a pic of the tree. What is your take on this?

{{gwi:15571}}

{{gwi:15572}}

Comments (17)

• larke
    13 years ago

Well, seeing as you ask :-), my personal idea would be to get rid of the big old branche altogether, carving (with a Dremel) around the bottom creatively to make it look balanced (and of course not affecting growth/roots of the live piece). But, if you want to leave it as is, I'd do a bit of work on that top lumpy part, then apply the LS, but not as a blanket coat, but rather leave 1-2 narrow courses going around and to the top unpainted, which for me would be more graceful. But then, that's me...

• larke
    13 years ago

So sorry! I misread the picture at first, thinking the top foliage was a separate thing traiing over the wall, and that the wood ended below it! There is no 'lumpy' part of course, so please ignore that. However, as there does seem to be a little area of growth just below the bend in that (large) branch before the top foliage, I'd cut the thing back to the new leaves and make that the new 'top', plus it looks like it's also going in the direction of the lower right hand part of the tree, which could be quite interesting! I would forget the LS altogether and save it for 'real' deadwood on a conifer.

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Why no LS? Don't you think it could use IT? It needs it to look aged.

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh and by the way, What did you mean by I should use it on 'real' dead wood on a conifer instead of the barberry?

• larke
    13 years ago

Just my opinion - I think LS looks good on some trees, and not necessarily on others. I can't remember now what I meant by 'real' vs otherwise.

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does any one else have a take on this tree? Any opinions?

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

It is an interesting tree, just needs time and work. You need to decide what to do with the foliage in the future...to my eye the l/s is way too tall for the rest of it but that's up to you.
    One thing I would do is hollow out the big branch cuts then incorporate them into the shari going down the side of the trunks. Yes, you should use the lime sulphur to protect the wood and add contrast to what you did.

Bob

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob,

Thanks for your comment. You said "to my eye the l/s is way too tall for the rest of it but that's up to you." What do you mean? What is the 1/s in the "...l/s is way too tall..." ?

Thanks,

Gardener Guy

• larke
    13 years ago

Think he means the tall left branch...

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think once I refine the branches I may be able to help the over all look of this tree. The height of the tree may not be as troubling once the branches and pads are formed.

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Right, the tall left branch just looks out of place in the design. Rather than your eye following a line or pattern it just leaves the tree but, that's just me. You're creating drama with the dead wood and most of the main portion of the tree (the weight of the design) is compact.

To my eye I'd concentrate on that and keep it compact.

Bob

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I want to make a strong statement with this tree. I want it to look ancient and strong.

• unasmith
    13 years ago

I don't see the photos. Can anyone tell me why?

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am not sure what happened o the pictures. They have been there for the whole thread so far. I dont understand it. I'll try to fix it. Sorry you guys,

Gardener Guy

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

GG,
    when I copied the address of the image into my browser, it took me to this page:

http://photos.ivillage.com/images/photos/resize/gardenweb_Garden%20Galleries_1282833043985_538141D.jpg

Were the images hosted by iVillage?

Josh

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The images were posted on GardenWeb Gallery. I dont understand why it's I village that comes up. I am sorry. I will looks to find the pics and try to provide the link.

Gardener Guy

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe this will help. I looked at the code of the pics I added and it did say they were I village pics but added to the code was Gardenweb Galleries. Its strange to me. I just typed in barberry in the search and found then with ease.

Here you are:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2010/08/barberry.html

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2010/08/barberry_1.html

Gardener Guy

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County