Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help me identify this bonsai?

Posted by yang_yang (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 11:51

hi folks,
this bonsai is wrongly labeled. it looks like a rose family plant to me. can anyone help me identify it?
it is hard to upload pics in the forum. here is the link to the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25556568@N02/4935100638/

many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help me identify this bonsai?

Bougainvillea bonsai. That's what it looks like to me but its hard to tell with out the flowers.

Gardener Guy

o

Unlike most other forums this one is very outdated, it's becoming harder and harder to use.

As far as what it is; leaf placement and bark tell me it isn't a bougy. We do have a tree here that looks like it, makes it a tropical but, could only give you the Vn name. They don't use botanical names but 'story' or descriptive names only. If my notes are right it's called 'son tranh' but don't have what that translates to in E.

Bob

o

thanks guys. i still think it might be a rose family plant, because it does not have the thorns of bougy; plus the trunk is smooth, unlike bougy...

o

Roses have thorns (unless they're the deliberately grown 'thornless' hothouse ones sold to florists) last time I looked, but while the leaves of this tree looks 'rose-y', rose leaves are thinner and the edges have tiny teeth.

o
More

I think the tree could even be privet - they can get very quickly.

o

They can get 'fat' very quickly.

o

I agree with Larke, it looks exactly like my Chinese Privet.

o

Thanks again folks! I am more inclined to believe it is a Malus, maybe a crabapple. It is common to have crabapple bonsais. Besides, among this batch of bonsais that we recently bought, there was another one which looked just like it and which was labeled as "apple".

o

I think it is Eugenia uniflora (Brazilian Cherry, or Surinam Cherry)... from the opposed leaf structure, reddish new growth, bark color and slightly pointy leafs.
These are native to where I live.

o

It is not any kind of apple, the leaves are all wrong (not thin enough or toothed).

o
Darn - that post 'went' by mistake!

It is not any kind of apple, the leaves are all wrong (not thin enough and shaped wrong).

o

larke:
thanks for pointing out that. i think you may be right - malus leaves should have serrated margins.

goodstav:
we do have a big mature surinam cherry here and the bonsai in question does resemble it. also, according to the information on this link http://fichas.infojardin.com/bonsai/eugenia-uniflora-manzana-de-agua-bonsai.htm, Eugenia uniflora can be trained as a bonsai and it has a common name in spanish as "manzana de agua", which might help explain why it was wrongly labeled as "apple". the origin of our bonsai is china, though...

o

yep the spanish name might have created all the confusion. I do also create bonsai from surinam cherry... and so might do the chinese too :) when you pick a leaf and smash it in your fingers, can you feel a nice fruity scent? well, that's exactly the taste of surinam cherry. if so, protect it from frosts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here