Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yang_yang_gw

Can someone help me identify this bonsai?

yang_yang
13 years ago

hi folks,

this bonsai is wrongly labeled. it looks like a rose family plant to me. can anyone help me identify it?

it is hard to upload pics in the forum. here is the link to the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25556568@N02/4935100638/

many thanks!

Comments (13)

• gardener_guy
    13 years ago

Bougainvillea bonsai. That's what it looks like to me but its hard to tell with out the flowers.

Gardener Guy

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Unlike most other forums this one is very outdated, it's becoming harder and harder to use.

As far as what it is; leaf placement and bark tell me it isn't a bougy. We do have a tree here that looks like it, makes it a tropical but, could only give you the Vn name. They don't use botanical names but 'story' or descriptive names only. If my notes are right it's called 'son tranh' but don't have what that translates to in E.

Bob

• yang_yang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks guys. i still think it might be a rose family plant, because it does not have the thorns of bougy; plus the trunk is smooth, unlike bougy...

• larke
    13 years ago

Roses have thorns (unless they're the deliberately grown 'thornless' hothouse ones sold to florists) last time I looked, but while the leaves of this tree looks 'rose-y', rose leaves are thinner and the edges have tiny teeth.

• larke
    13 years ago

I think the tree could even be privet - they can get very quickly.

• larke
    13 years ago

They can get 'fat' very quickly.

• simsedward
    13 years ago

I agree with Larke, it looks exactly like my Chinese Privet.

• yang_yang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again folks! I am more inclined to believe it is a Malus, maybe a crabapple. It is common to have crabapple bonsais. Besides, among this batch of bonsais that we recently bought, there was another one which looked just like it and which was labeled as "apple".

• goodstav
    13 years ago

I think it is Eugenia uniflora (Brazilian Cherry, or Surinam Cherry)... from the opposed leaf structure, reddish new growth, bark color and slightly pointy leafs.
    These are native to where I live.

• larke
    13 years ago

It is not any kind of apple, the leaves are all wrong (not thin enough or toothed).

• larke
    13 years ago

It is not any kind of apple, the leaves are all wrong (not thin enough and shaped wrong).

• yang_yang
    Original Author
    13 years ago

larke:
    thanks for pointing out that. i think you may be right - malus leaves should have serrated margins.

goodstav:
    we do have a big mature surinam cherry here and the bonsai in question does resemble it. also, according to the information on this link http://fichas.infojardin.com/bonsai/eugenia-uniflora-manzana-de-agua-bonsai.htm, Eugenia uniflora can be trained as a bonsai and it has a common name in spanish as "manzana de agua", which might help explain why it was wrongly labeled as "apple". the origin of our bonsai is china, though...

• goodstav
    13 years ago

yep the spanish name might have created all the confusion. I do also create bonsai from surinam cherry... and so might do the chinese too :) when you pick a leaf and smash it in your fingers, can you feel a nice fruity scent? well, that's exactly the taste of surinam cherry. if so, protect it from frosts.

Sponsored