Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westgate_gw

root pruning

westgate
18 years ago

I have only been growing bonsai for 3 yrs. but have become fascinated Learned most of it from books and guesswork. I am very raw beginner. However, while my trees look nice (to me, anyway!) I have to face the problem of root pruning... is this really necessary? If so, when and how? I only have local trees ... cedars, firs, and a few others.

Comments (14)

• mark_rockwell
    18 years ago

"I have to face the problem of root pruning... is this really necessary? If so, when and how?"

It is necessary if you want your trees to live in a container. The principle behind root pruning isn't the obvious one of reducing them to fit inside the container, although that is obviously one of the aims.

Pruning roots forces the containerized plants to produce alot of "feeder" roots. These smaller, finely branched roots are more effecient at getting nutrients than the larger thicker woodier roots. So when you root prune, you're making the root system more efficient, as well as a little smaller.

The problem with not pruning roots in bonsai, is that tree roots mature, get thicker and woodier and less efficient at getting nurtients. If you don't prune them, the big roots completely colonize the container, using up space, close the pot's drainage, and evenutally kill themselves off. Pruning them restores soil and air space, improves drainage and stimulates finer feeded root growth.

Timing of this operation is usually in the early spring. This operation is one of those things you just have to learn. Seeing someone actually do it helps tremendously. Having someone show you how to do it is even better. Joina club, get a video, etc. For what it's worth, conifers are a little more touchy with rootpruning than decidous trees. They don't appreciate being bare rooted either. Leave some soil on the rootball when you're trimming it. Make sure cuts on roots are clean and that the shears you're using are VERY sharp. Neat wounds, not crushed mashed mangled roots, produce new roots more quickly.

• westgate
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I must say, that was really helpful Mark. I didn't understand before how the different types of root function. I shall make a copy of your remarks and follow them in the Spring. Many thanks! Any suggestions as to how to keep the leaf size small on deciduos trees?

• mark_rockwell
    18 years ago

Who put the stupid seed link in my previous reply post? I don't endorse the silly company linked there, nor am I familiar with anything they produce.

• mark_rockwell
    18 years ago

The link has apparently been removed.

• vancewood
    18 years ago

Mark: I don't know what is going on with the links except it is possible that these things are pluged in to your post because it is more likely someone will read what you have to say making your posts a good vehicle for an unsolicited link.

As to the root pruning, Mark is of course absolutly correct. Without root pruning no tree can stay healthy in a small pot or even survive for long without the practice.

Vance Wood.

• Zburkett
    18 years ago

Mark, your reply was outstanding. I've been doing this about a decade and have never seen it explained as well. Now I may be beginning to understand root pruning. Thanks, Zack

• mark_rockwell
    18 years ago

For what it's worth, the darned silly link is back in my response. This is more than a little offputting. If it keeps up, I will not return here...

For what it's worth, buying "bonsai" seeds online (the link in my post leads to a seed site) is probably the most futile, ineffective waste of time and money in this hobby. I wouldn't do it...

• caghan
    18 years ago

Hi All,

Because they are so hard to find, Just wanted to let the Australian Viewers know that there are great 11 Pce tool kits available on Ebay. They have everything you need to look after your Bonsai

• helmut_ii
    18 years ago

Thanks for the informative information about root pruning. Although I'm just starting my research in Bonsai, I have been growing miniature roses in containers. Your explanation has given me insight in to root pruning for my container roses as well.
    Can you recommend a good video for bonsai?
    Helmut

• tanyag
    17 years ago

Hey Lucy,Schatz is just spamming. I have seen him on several threads and in some with a different screen name. I have already reported Schatz to iVillage, so he/she will be removed soon. Whoever it is will just pop up with another name soon after that. By the way, Lucy, you were right about the Juniper. Mine is dead after a vacation and not being able to control lighting and such. I must eat my humble pie. I guess some things you read are not always true. My ginsing ficus and fukien tea seem to be liking shaded bight light. Do you know of any others that will work well indoors? Thanks, Tanya

• lucy
    17 years ago

Yeah, I know, but I thought maybe he'd shut up and go 'way if someone took him seriously. There are so many trees that do work indoors, but what you mean by 'shaded bright light' is pretty vague, and my fukien loves very bright light, as do my ficuses, so a better description might help (there are so many things that will grow indoors... depending).

• tanyag
    17 years ago

They are outside but under a porch. They get very bright light, but no direct light. I have been staying here so won't have these conditions when I go back to my house. I am hoping to have them indoors in an East-facing window with suplemental light. I have a dwarf yaupon holly, jade, ginsing ficus, and the fukien. Supposedly they can all be grown indoors with some added light which I have. What do you think?

• lucy
    17 years ago

Depending on what your added light is actually like (wattage, placement, etc.) certainly they can be grown indoors, though I'd keep the holly just a bit less bright (and cooler if at all possible). I still don't understand how they can be getting 'bright' light under a porch, unless it's made of clear plastic, so it's kind of meaningless (to me anyhow).

• tanyag
    17 years ago

I thought that bright light meant that the light around was bright but not necessarily direct sun. the porch is rather high so it is "bright" under the porch. It's not direct sun, but it is not dense shade either. I guess I misunderstood what I read. Several of the bonsai books that I have purchased talk about direct sun, bright light, bright shade, and shade. I guess their situation right now is more of a bright shade then. The fukien seems to be thriving. It is putting on new leaves like crazy. So if holly likes it less bright, I am guessing it is a good choice for indoors. It was listed in my indoor bonsai book as was the fukien, ficus and jade. I know jade likes more light so I will have to play with my indoor situation. What are other good ones for indoors?