Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

'Shishigashira' Help Needed

plantomaniac08
10 years ago

My Mother bought my Husband a 'Shishigashira' Japanese Maple for his birthday and he is interested in turning it into a bonsai (she wouldn't tell me where she purchased it, only that it was from a place that sold trees especially designed for bonsai). It appears to be grafted, if that helps at all.

I am a little disappointed already with the way it looks, as it looks a bit... etiolated, for a lack of better words. We don't have a bonsai pot small enough for the small root system it has, so we stuck it in a 4 1/2 inch ceramic pot with some fast draining soil I had lying around (temporarily of course).

My questions to you are:

1. What does my Husband need to do/what can he do right now to "prep" this for future bonsai?

2. Can we cut the longest branch back, or is that too "hard" of a cut? I honestly would like to cut it back all the way to the other branch myself, but this is my Husband's tree, haha. I'm just asking the questions for him.

I've noticed that the smaller of the two branches, the "node" (for a lack of better words, I'm referring to the spot where the new leaves would be forming), appears to have been broken off and I don't see any other branches forming to replace the growth on that branch.

3. Do we need to cut it back to the next set of leaves to induce branching?

I've noticed only the two branches, I figure he might need more at the base to create a "canopy" look eventually.

I hope this post isn't too long, I just know Hubby had a really difficult time with his last Juniper bonsai, so my Mother thought she'd get him something easier. I just hope this one isn't too far "gone" to bonsai and turn it what he's longing for.

{{gwi:15937}}

{{gwi:15939}}

{{gwi:15941}}

Thanks,
Planto

Comments (2)

• lehua49
    10 years ago

POM,
    I am by no means an expert, but here is my $0.02 worth. I would re-pot in a large pot or in the ground (Grow Pot). It is not an indoor plant. It will need part shade usually protected by a larger tree. I have mine under shade cloth and they are doing fine (Zone 9). Provide good draining soil. Should do well in your zone. Chopping the tree down in size should not harm it. It can be done slowly over time. I would not be concerned about putting it in a bonsai pot until it is more like the shape you want. You're more concerned with keeping it alive and healthy(thickening the trunk). Here is the sequence I would do. Re-pot and wait until you see new growth, chop to the just above the lowest large clump of leaves. Wait till you see new growth and is healthy, then shape the lower clump to encourage new branches lower down. The real advice here is take your time and make sure your plant is healthy when you make your changes. JMHO Aloha

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lehua13,
    Sorry to be responding this late after your response. Thanks so much for the information, I'll be sure to tell Hubby! We will do exactly as you stated, first things first, we will have to repot it this weekend!

Planto

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor