Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

huge shipment of Bonsai at Walmart...one came home with me

cadillactaste
10 years ago

I am sure that big box stores aren't the best place to purchase a bonsai...but the sentiment rock and the tree growing to the side seemed...whimsical to me. They had no liquid fertilize. Is there a better brand to look for when I go out shopping?

Comments (8)

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid.

Alright...sorry about that...so once a month verses every two weeks?

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright...had a friend give me the tip to remove the glued pebbles...but then searched glued pebbles...and seen that it is also suggested to repot. So...humidity drip tray as well? What size of a pot should one get compared to the size of their tree?

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> A slightly more advanced mix would be organic matter, inorganic filler and water retentive material in equal parts by volume. This mix would suffice for most conifers.

Okay...this is like forgein language to me...so a mixture of 3rds right?!? So no simple bonsai soil...and you can get this where they sell soil for plants then...

Sorry so many posts...this $10.88 plant...will be worth saving if I can...all over my not Irving able to pass up a sentiment rock in the pot...

• andrewraz
    10 years ago

Cadillactaste, since nobody else has answered, I'll try.
    Take this with a grain of salt, b/c I'm a beginner myself.

The mix you mentioned is the "gritty mix." 1 part fine pine bark, one part Turface or similar, 1 part crushed granite, all particles between 1/8 and 1/4". There's a ton of information on these forums, esp. in the container gardening one. Do some reading, it'll help you in the long run.

However, my advice, after doing what I said: try to find a pre-made gritty mix at a nearby store, or order some online. If you make it yourself, a lot of sources come in 50lb bags, so you might end up with 150lbs for one little bonsai.

Good luck!

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Andrew...it seems to be thriving. So I am going to plan to try and get this tree through winterisation outdoors this winter...then repotting and putting in better quality of soil for a juniper.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I make my own gritty mix, but if you just need a little, you could find a brand called Hoffman Bonsai Mix at most garden centers. It is about 8.99 for a small bag, but it will be fine for what you are using it for. Then if you want to make larger quantities , then you can search out the Grit, Turface and the Firbark!!

I agree.. Keep it healthy until spring to repot.

Good luck!!!

Laura

• taskeymia
    8 years ago

What type of bonsai is that? I just bought the same kind and it is my first bonsai. I'm trying to figure out how to care for it, but I do not know what kind it is!! Thanks for the help :)

• Kev (z7b NY)
    8 years ago

It's a Juniper. And yes if the pebbles appeared to be glued down, you must remove them. A lot of times these Big Box Store "bonsai", are just cuttings stuck in the soil. No slight, it's just how it goes. So it may have a big root system, it may not. My feeling is I would leave it this year. You can prune some of the foliage away thats right on the main truck to see what you have in there.Leave the twigs that look like they want to be branches. Also don't trim too much now, let it gain strength in it's new home.

It's showing to be a semi-cascade style, so I would do a little research of the plant and that style. Juniper's like the sun, so I would put it where it gets good sunlight. But being in a small pot it will dry out quickly so watch for that. Maybe a morning sun and then light shade in the afternoon... It will also need a winter chill next year, so prepare for that. But for now just enjoy it. Did I say get the glued rocks off? ;) Haha HTH

Sponsored