Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
huge shipment of Bonsai at Walmart...one came home with me

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 14:16

I am sure that big box stores aren't the best place to purchase a bonsai...but the sentiment rock and the tree growing to the side seemed...whimsical to me. They had no liquid fertilize. Is there a better brand to look for when I go out shopping?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: huge shipment of Bonsai at Walmart...one came home with me

> Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid.

Alright...sorry about that...so once a month verses every two weeks?

o

Alright...had a friend give me the tip to remove the glued pebbles...but then searched glued pebbles...and seen that it is also suggested to repot. So...humidity drip tray as well? What size of a pot should one get compared to the size of their tree?

o

> A slightly more advanced mix would be organic matter, inorganic filler and water retentive material in equal parts by volume. This mix would suffice for most conifers.

Okay...this is like forgein language to me...so a mixture of 3rds right?!? So no simple bonsai soil...and you can get this where they sell soil for plants then...

Sorry so many posts...this $10.88 plant...will be worth saving if I can...all over my not Irving able to pass up a sentiment rock in the pot...

o

Cadillactaste, since nobody else has answered, I'll try.
Take this with a grain of salt, b/c I'm a beginner myself.

The mix you mentioned is the "gritty mix." 1 part fine pine bark, one part Turface or similar, 1 part crushed granite, all particles between 1/8 and 1/4". There's a ton of information on these forums, esp. in the container gardening one. Do some reading, it'll help you in the long run.

However, my advice, after doing what I said: try to find a pre-made gritty mix at a nearby store, or order some online. If you make it yourself, a lot of sources come in 50lb bags, so you might end up with 150lbs for one little bonsai.

Good luck!

o

Thanks Andrew...it seems to be thriving. So I am going to plan to try and get this tree through winterisation outdoors this winter...then repotting and putting in better quality of soil for a juniper.

o

I make my own gritty mix, but if you just need a little, you could find a brand called Hoffman Bonsai Mix at most garden centers. It is about 8.99 for a small bag, but it will be fine for what you are using it for. Then if you want to make larger quantities , then you can search out the Grit, Turface and the Firbark!!

I agree.. Keep it healthy until spring to repot.

Good luck!!!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here