Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hooks_gw

Blooming Bougainvillea !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hooks
16 years ago

At Last my bougainvillea in full bloom just wanted to share the photo.

{{gwi:4408}}

Comments (8)

• buddaboy
    16 years ago

Beeeeuuutifulll. Im trying to encourage mint in a cascade.

Ron

• buddaboy
    16 years ago

I meant mine.

• paul3636
    16 years ago

hook
    Great lookin plant.
    How long did it take to bloom.
    I see your in zone 5. Any tips on indoor care during the winter. I just purchased my 1st Bourg.
    Paul

• hooks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paul
    i just follow what i have read but these plants are able to become quite dry between waterings. Also I have found that they do not require as gritty of soil as other bonsai. I do however provide the tree with as much humidity as possible. i have a couple of humidity trays on the table with it but because my cat likes to drink any water other than that in her bowl i usually spray it twice a day as well. i place mine in a southeast facing window and it does just fine. i imagine if i provided grow lights it would have a winter bloom as well but green leaves arent a bad sight to look at either. i was told by my local guru that these bloom better when they are stressed and i also found the same info online so it is quite posible that this wonderful bloom started because of the heat wave we had three weeks back. it was near impossible to keep the soil moist. good luck and post some pics i always enjoy seeing what other have done.
    Tim

• paul3636
    16 years ago

Hook
    When the time is right I will post pictures.
    Right now there are only three branches so it may be some time in the next 2 years.
    How long did your plant take to bloom?
    Paul

• hooks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took mine from nursery stock and did some shaping so for me it took about seven months also the plant had recently bloomed in the greenhouse i bought it from.

• paul3636
    16 years ago

Thanks hook
    I'm looking forward to seeing my plant bloom.
    Paul

• botanical_bill
    16 years ago

Very nice looking tree. Ill just throw my 2c on what I know about bougainvilleas. They grow in florida and southern california, and thrive. California is a consistant dry, with a short wet season, where as florida its dry over 1/2 the year then lots or rain.
    Along the road where I work, they are blooming, huge hedgerows running about 1 mile along the road, about 8 feet tall, very nice to look at. I got some semihardwood cuttings to grow from them, even took them while in bloom. I had 2/24 root (low percentage). They stay in bloom for about 4 months out of the year (2 months, 2 times). My sister planted one I bought for my neice and once it rooted (about 6 months) it started to bloom. I cut one of her plants way back (thinned it out, its at least 10 foot tall) and this plant did not bloom with the others. I must have shocked it, but its shooting out all over. I guess what Im saying is, like stated, if you let it dry out between waterings, let it get rooted and dont trimm it, you should end up with a bloom. Again, thats my 2c.
    Good luck.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus