Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Australian pine as bonsai?

Posted by zeeth 10a Bradenton, Fl (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 16:35

I'm new to bonsai, but I thought I'd give it a try with some cheap/free materials. I went out to the beach and pulled a few Australian Pine saplings out of the ground. Most of them had a very long taproot, but one had only roots that went out to the side, and not down (must have been right on top of concrete). I shaped it a bit, washed the roots of soil and put it in a shallow pot with perlite as the medium. It has been living for almost 2 months, and growing happily. I think it will make a fine specimen as long as it gets enough sun and water. Since they're a legume, they have nitrogen fixing bacteria on the roots, and can live in very poor soil. I still fertilize once every week or 2 though. How well do you guys think this will work? I thought that since they're so invasive here, it'd be easy to get one to grow, and since they grow so fast, it'll make a nice specimen quite quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Australian pine as bonsai?

I also acquired an austrailian pine for the same purpose, the owner of the property was happy to let me try and dig one up.

The woody parts of these trees becomes very rigid, very fast,and I have only read about bonsai successfully.
My actual plant trials have...just survived my uneducated toilings.

The roots of my 'pine' were very easy to clean and separate. Pruning wasn't too bad, but I am afraid the woody parts will be my eventual problem. It's hard to shape something so rigid, and I just wanted to make sure I could keep it alive before toiling somemore...

For staring with a sapling, I don't know how much to push the pot, soil, pruning issues. Hopefully someone can answer your questions, because I am interested in them as well

Shannon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here