Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai Identification help?

Posted by chicagopepper 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 17:25

Hello, I'm usually hanging out on the hot pepper forum, but I'm the lucky recipient of this beautiful bonsai tree and have no idea what kind of tree it is and/or how to care for it. If I can figure out what variety it is, then I can figure out how much sun it needs, soil requirements, etc. Can anyone help me out? Here are some pictures! Thank you very much!!! - Matt
Photobucket

Really shiny little leaves:
Photobucket

Rough bark, not smooth:
Photobucket

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai Identification help?

IT looks like a fukien tea by the leaves to me..I hope someone else looks to be sure. these trees are really fussy so keep this in mind. where are you keeping it??watch the water do not let it stay wet.. have you seen any little white flowers?? look for some buds on long stems.hope this helps you good luck...john

o
RE: Bonsai Identification help?

Thanks John, I did some google searches and I think you may be right - a "small leaf fukien tea" tree. If anyone sees this and disagrees, please post what the tree is! Thank you.

I'm keeping it on a windowsill facing south that gets around 2 hours of direct sunlight per day. So far, it seems quite content with this. I water about every 3 or 4 days, just to wet but not oversoak. This seems to be working and the tree seems very content.

What a beautiful plant. Anyone know what the life expectancy of a tree like this might be, in ideal conditions. I hope to have this tree around for years.

Thanks again for responding. Love the GWF!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here