Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rws1979

First Bonsai Dawn Redwood

rws1979
9 years ago

I just bought a Dawn Redwood online. It is not a Bonsai yet. I planned on putting it the ground to grow for a few years to let the trunk thicken, but I just read the Redwood soil thread. Now I wonder if I should put it in a large pot. The soil where I will plant it is sandy with some Mushroom Compost mixed in. Sounds like I need some Grit, Pine Bark, and Perlite. What do you guys think I should do? I would prefer to do it in a pot since I am not too successful digging up trees and replanting them, especially when a tree is 3-4 years old. If I do choose the ground I will wait until it cools down a little to plant it. Also should I worry about training or trimming anything for now or just let it run wild for a few years. I am planning on training it as a formal upright style.

Comments (7)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Hi, well, don't dig now if you do it, better wait til Oct/Nov. (I don't know though if the ground freezes solid there earlier or at all like it does here... so I have to watch that, but the point is that it needs to go dormant... now is too early.

If you do pot it though, try to use whatever 'ground' soil you have, get a big rootball whatever you end up doing to it eventually, because it'll do better in that than any mix we make up to simulate natural conditions. The tree will grow fast in any case, so you might be better off just doing the pot thing, but still wait til the fall. Just out of curiosity, what do you do (in sequence of small details) when you dig up or replant trees outside? Maybe I can help for future stuff. I also suggest even for the in-pot repot, to get hold of a local club and ask if you can bring your tree and new pot to a mtg to learn just what and how to do it well... so much better to get it right the first time.

• spaceman13
    9 years ago

I would not use native soil in a pot, It can hold too much water and could cause root rot. Perhaps a mix of 50% pine fines and 50% grit.
    Good Article - https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/earthpot.htm

Put it in a pot about the size of a dishpan. You could save a few bucks by actually using a dishpan, with a bunch of holes drilled in it for drainage, of course.

• rws1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So you guys think the trunk will thicken up in a pot? I mixed up some Perlite, grit and Orchid Mix to plant it in. I was going to plant it in a 2 gallon pot, but would it be better to do it in a Dish Pan. If I put it in the ground it would be later in the year when it cools off, But I like the Idea of putting it in a pot right now. IS there anything I can do right now to develop the roots. Or should I just let it grow free for a few years.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

It will grow in a pot (most bonsai do, after all), but dish pans are flexible, and every time you lifted it, the whole rootball could be jiggled... not terrific. There are way too many other types of containers around that you can use. Don't count on 'developing' roots now though, much beyond a little stabilizing they'll do, because it's on its way to going dormant til the spring. And if drainage is good, native soil should not be a big problem, but feel free to mix it with other stuff... however it IS important that the soil right around the roots be 'native' to give it the best start.

• spaceman13
    9 years ago

You don't have to use a dishpan, but I would use something similar in size and WIDTH. You can train the rootage to grow more out than down, as they would tend to grow in a taller 2 gallon cylinder shaped nursery pot.

You might could buy one from a local bonsai shop or online.
    Here's a good article on training boxes, along with plans to build one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai Training Pots

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I read that when you dig them up you're supposed to wrap the roots in wet newspaper. I suppose that's only if you're on a long trek though.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Exactly, though if the rootball is moist to begin with, and you wrap that in plastic, or spray it hard often enough, that should be ok too... there's nothing magical about newspaper :-).

Sponsored