Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve9b

Polyscia fruticosa question

steve9b
14 years ago

(Originally posted to Florida Garden Forum under "OLD 'Ming Aralia' Problem" - a responder thought my Polyscia might make a nice bonsai...)

I have a 24 year old "Ming Aralia" (Polyscia fruticosa), 7 feet tall with thick yellow-green foliage and a thick, corky trunk. Although it has been propped up by stakes for the last 10 years, the trunk has deteriorated - it has a 4" split clear through - and it is breaking.

Question 1: Can I pollard the tree trunk to 18" and still expect it to re-grow? That's how low I would have to go to get down to firm, clean wood. Other than trunk issues, the plant is quite healthy, although it is beginning to lose branches from the trunk splitting.

Question 2: Can I take the trimmings and start new plants from the cuttings?

Background: This is a "heritage" plant - my brother, "The Botanist", started it while working for Florida D.E.P. It came from a Florida phosphate mine reclamation project - a leftover experiment. My father cared for it, and now that he's gone, the tree is mine. I need advice because I would hate to go to my brother and tell him the tree died from bad management.

Sponsored