Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juniper Bonsai Fertilizer

Posted by Sonarctica SW PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 18:16

I need to buy a liquid fertilizer for my bonsai (juniper) because liquid is recommended by the "experts." I need to know the best kind of feritlizer to buy, i was searching and came up wit MirAcid as one, but i wanted to hear of other ideas and whether or not Miracid is a good idea. Any help is appreciated. heading to college so i need to find some fertilizer for my tree before i go. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizer

• Posted by vcd1 z5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 23:03

Why a liquid? 1. It is easier to dilute. 2. A small bottle is easier to move than a 10 or 25 lb. bag. Other than that fertilizer is fertilizer. Miricle-Gro does make a liquid that I use for my indoor (TROPICALS). Where are you going to keep your juniper? 1. It is not a tropical plant. 2. It needs a period of cold (dormancy not a dorm room) each winter. Junipers make great Bonsai that you will enjoy for years to come. Please learn more about it. Your reference to the experts leads me to believe you have done some reading, please do more.
Vernon

o

I bought the book, The Bonsai Workshop, by Herb L. Gustafson. It is a great book for any beginners looking for help. I too am a beginner, and this is my first bonsai. i was planning on taking it to college with me, but after reading the threads i need to rethink my ideas. I could allow it to stay outside in the winter to allow it a dormant period while still caring for it. i bought this tree from a grocery store, i know bad idea, and it is already in a bonsai pot. I was not happy with the shape of the tree and i believe it waws allowed to grow freely to allow the consumer to choose the style. i plan on a slant-type tree since it does in fact slant to one side. i want it to grow and i was going to transfer it to a bigger bonsai pot with new soil and fertilizer to help it grow. I chose my soil already at stonelantern.com it is 100 aggregate, and is recommended for pine bonsai. I was going to utilize the fertilizer to give it the organic needs that it requires. Hopefully i'm doing the right thing help my out.

o

• Posted by TimZ8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 11:20

I use Miricle Grow for azaleas. It's the new version of Mir-acid, just sounds less toxic! I use it for leaf feeding also. If you plan to leaf feed Junipers/Shimpaku you need to get up early. The poors on Shimpaku are only open very early in the morning and that's when you want to feed them. If you do it in the afternoon it's not doing much. This is also a great reason to get up early before the heat to work the trees.

o

MiricleGro for Azaleas is probably one of the best, and redily available. I use it on all my other conifers as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here