Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
omgitshannah

HELP! I'm confused:/

OMGitsHannah
12 years ago

I just received my first chinese elm so I can practice and perfect caring for bonsai trees. Within the first two days, I already grew mold on the top of the soil from over watering. I've been researching on many different websites on how to correctly water without killing my tree. It is currently in a 3-4 in deep plastic pot and it has two draining holes. It is a medium sized pot and the tree is about 2 years old with previous training. I heard that soaking in 2 inches of water in your sink is bad but i also read to run water through it for 20 minutes.. How should I water it without making the soil too wet so I can avoid root rot and mold?! It is indoor with plenty of sun

Comments (4)

• simsedward
    12 years ago

I would take it outside for starters (until it gets cold). Then, just water the top of the soil with a hose or watering can until you notice the water dripping out of the bottom. It is important to flush the soil every time you water. Then you need to let it dry out, but not completely, before you water again. It should not take 20 minutes to water it. I have one that is over 30 years old and in a huge pot, I soak it with a hose from the top and water comes through the drain holes in a few minutes. Good luck!

• OMGitsHannah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the bonsai came in the mail and the directions said to give it a good water, so i did. i didnt even pour a full cup on to it and water came out of the bottom. the soil was drenched and i knew that i overwatered. How do i flush it without drowning it!? It may seem like a stupid question, but i dont want to lose my first bonsai!!

• levin86
    12 years ago

I too am fairly new to bonsai and my main piece of advice I can give so far is relax trees seem to be tougher than anybody gives them credit to be. I did the same thing with my chinese elm when I first got it thought I was underwatering then overwatering I finally just stuck it outside in full sun with shade in the late afternoon here(when it gets well into the triple digits) and only lightly water it daily. it exploded new growth withing 3 days(badly needs a trim but I think I will wait until the next growing season to start because I let it get quiet rough before deciding it needed to be outside)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Many years ago, in a bonsai workshop led by a Japanese master (Ben Oki), one of the participants asked a question: "How often should I water my juniper?" His (Mr. Oki's) expression never changed at all as he answered in Japanese accented English, "Wait until plant become completely dry - then water day before." To this day, I'm not sure if he was serious or it was his brand of humor, but the advice is sound for most plant material.

Water your trees on an 'as needed' basis. When the soil is dry, water until a tiny bit of water runs from the drain holes, allow them to rest for a few minutes, then water again, applying less water than the first time - just enough to flush accumulating salts from the soil. This will be about 10-15% of the original volume of water applied.

At first, use a chopstick stuck into the soil to tell you how damp the soil is. If the stick is dark or wet, don't water. If it's damp or dry - water. Heft your pots often if your plants are small. Soon, you'll be able to tell by their weight what plants need water. Over-watering carries different but just as serious consequences as under-watering, so try your best to avoid both. Given a choice, it's better to under-water by a little than over-water.

If you think your soil is too water-retentive to allow you to flush the soil every time you water, your soil is inappropriate. Using a wick, and tilting your pots at a 45* angle after watering are BOTH very helpful ways to drain excess water from too-heavy soils. Let me know if you need/want this explained.

Al

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery