Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrimomma_gw

using lilac bush for bonsai

mrimomma
18 years ago

i have a potted lilac bush that's been "waiting for replanting" for @ 3 years, so it's already quite stunted. it was tilted and resembling the windswept form 2 years ago, so i wired the branches to maintain this position. i know absolutely nothing @ bonsai, except that i like it...so i was wondering if i could use this lilac for an indoor/outdoor specimen? i'd love to put it in a shallow pot, train the roots either over a rock or as "knees" above the soil, and surround them with maybe some cool moss...is this possible? has anyone used lilac as bonsai at all? any info would be greatly appreciated.....thanks!!

Comments (8)

• vcd1
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I have two concerns about using a lilac. First I do not believe the leaves would reduce very well. I am afraid you would always have a small bush with big leaves. The second concern is about the way lilacs spread with suckers. You may keep having new, unwanted shoots appearing at the base of your tree.
    Have fun,
    Vernon

• tim_moose
    18 years ago

Lilac certainly are used as bonsai but generally are considered "challenging" material for the reasons Vernon mentions. Accordingly they are definitely NOT the most rewarding species to start with.

Always an outdoor tree as well.

The 15/16th? pictures on this link show some excellent examples.

http://www.artofbonsai.org/articles/gallery_pall.php

You would need large trunked, old garden material to get the best out of one.

• ConnieinMaryland
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh! What a great idea! And did you see that "Gallery" on the link Tim sent? Those are the most astounding trees... I am new to bonsai myself, so I only know by theory, not practice. But GO FOR IT! The worst that can happen is you get bored. Sink the pot in the ground over the winter, though, and leave it outside. The reason my trees died is I tried to bring them inside. You can do that, but only for a few hours at a time. Also, check with someone who knows about when to do the first root pruning- which season, I mean. It matters. Keep in touch,k I'd love to know how it grows.

• tim_moose
    18 years ago

You can spot a good tree when you see one Connie.

Walter Pall is very well known for his work with both common and unusual European species as opposed to the classic Japanese species.

BTW

"landscapes that don't use non-native invasives"

Does that mean you design with invasive natives?

Having a bit of senior moment today.

:-)

• mrimomma
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks everyone for tha terrific advise...the links were very inspirational!

• Zburkett
    18 years ago

Connie, try keeping a few indoor bonsai that you can not only bring inside but must keep inside during the winter. That way you can put your "out side" bonsai into the ground for the winter and still have trees you can enjoy all year long. Zack

• chamberlin10
    16 years ago

I have a lilac bush in need of trimming and I would like to try and propogate a lilac bonsai from a cutting but I'm not sure how to choose a cutting. Is a small cutting OK or should it be thicker?
    Does anyone have any suggustions for flowering, easy to maintain, indoor bonsai choices?
    Thanks folks

• bonsaibean
    15 years ago

I've got about a 50 year old lilac clump/stump in a 12x18" pot and it's really starting to look good. It was dug from my parents yard about 4 years ago, as they wanted the space for something else, and I just couldn't let them kill the lilac.
    It has set a few flowers since being potted, but pruning for branch development has kept flowers to a minimum. Perhaps someday it will get to a point where I don't mind letting a few branches flower each year, just to have the color around.
    As has been said though, the leaves only seem to miniaturize to about half size so far, so it will need to be a large bonsai to really look good.

Sponsored