Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adoptedbygreyhounds

Practical question re: cleaning tools

What do you use to clean juniper or spruce sap, etc, off of bonsai tools. And what do you use to clean your hands, too, while I'm asking.

Any other tips for maintaining tools?

Comments (5)

• kitsuneheather
    16 years ago

I use WD-40 and Rubbing Alcohol for almost all of my tool cleaning needs.... not the WD-40 for my hands though. You could try rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover or valeseline. After I clean them, I lubricate with mineral oil, a light coating on all of the cutting and moving surfaces, as well as drop on any bolts, leaving it sit for about ten minutes before I store them to let the oil seep into the cracks and joints. Keeping the tools sharp is also very important. A dull tool can cause more damage to the trees when you're using them, and also inceases the wear and tear on the tool itself and will ultimately shorten the useful lifespan of the tool. So keep 'em sharp! :)

• botanical_bill
    16 years ago

I use rubbing alcohol to clean my tools. You can use any solvent that wont damage the steel. You can use acetone or paint thinner, if the sap is that bad. If you have any plastic or rubber on the tools, you want to say away from the harsh solvents. Sometimes when the tools get some gunk build up, I use a superfine steel wool and they get a nice shine using that. I coat them with vegetable or corn oil so they wont rust, its humid here in Florida.
    As for my hands, I have never had a problem with anything not coming off using Gojo. I buy the large gallon with the pump built in and keep it in my wash sink, it seems to last forever. Comes in very handy for allot of projects.

• bonsaibean
    16 years ago

At the last Rendezvous @ Brussells, it was recommended by a couple different presenters to clean your tools between every tree with a Lysol or similar anti-bacterial solution. Not only does it clean off the visible crud, but should indeed help keep the pests and diseases under control. I do then give a light touch of WD 40 on the hinges once the tools are dry.

• bonsaikc
    16 years ago

I use alcohol pads sold for medical purposes, they are with diabetic supplies at the pharmacy. To oil, though, I spray a little Pam on the blades since it is a vegetable oil instead of a petroleum product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sashi-no-eda Bonsai Blog

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Many thanks for all your varied replies. I have been away for 11 days and unable to respond. (Driving to Toronto from Atlanta, 13 hours into a 15 hour drive, my daughter had emergency appendectomy in small town. SheÂs doing very well.)

I was aware of the traditional rubbing alcohol/mineral oil treatment, but was a little surprised to see the Lysol and Pam recommendations, but they both make perfect sense and will have to try them. I am not familiar with Gojo, but will look for it and try it, too.

Kitsuneheather, I agree about keeping the blades sharp. Our tools are very new, but DH knows a lot about sharpening, so I am sure they will be well cared for in that respect.

Bonsaikc, thanks for the link to your blog. I especially enjoyed the pics of Yosemite. We have spent a couple of vacations there in the high country campground "White Wolf." Extraordinary scenery and now I want to go back.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths