Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

How small or tall to be a Bonsai

gnappi
9 years ago

I don't know how to ask this, but is a Bonsai always under a certain height. Are typical dwarf trees better suited to Bonsai?

I ask because I have a stunted Persian lime in a pot and a Pickering mango in the ground that both may be nicely suited to train into Bonsai.

Comments (6)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by moochinka on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:06

• bononnie
    9 years ago

I have always heard 3 feet tall, maximum -- from 'four-hand' trees that take 2 people (4 hands) to lift down to those in thimble-sized pots. Dwarf varieties may be a slight shortcut, but aren't necessary. A definitive requirement would have to be that it grows in a container -- bonsai translates as a tree in a pot/tray. The definition I like best is of creating the illusion of a mature, natural tree(s), as if seen growing in the distance.

So, design and proportions are probably more important than height. The many rules address the tree's health and/or aesthetic considerations. I feel if a tree is healthy, well proportioned and trained to be beautiful, you have bonsai. Even if it breaks a few rules.

Ideally, you will want to develop a thick trunk with bark, branches with ramification (divisions) and leaves in proportion (to which end, some leaves can be reduced over time -- flowes & fruit will not). There are traditional styles, you may like. Some folks get particular about pots (size, shape, depth, color, material) and presentation (stones, figurines, stands, companion plants) or what kind of tree suits this or that use. Lead with your heart, my friend.

The basic techniques are of proper sun/shade and water (many or most are outdoors trees), periodic pruning -- roots & branches, of wiring to shape, pinching leaves, etc, and of course basic gardening skills. My best recommendation for learning about these is to join your local club -- I am big on that. But also read books and look closely at pictures to see the styles, pots, and all. Most importantly, though, is to try your hand.

This is probably more answer than you wanted. Sorry, I got carried away. Best.

• spaceman13
    9 years ago

I'd say no. Bonsai are kept small mostly by root pruning. Full size trees will thicken up quicker, and that is one of the main goals in bonsai, to make the tree look very old, and dwarf varieties grow too slowly.

On the lime and mango, it depends on why/how they were stunted. The canopy and root mass must be in balance, if you prune most of the leaves, the tree will not be able to support the root mass, and vice versa.

I concur with bononnie, seek out a bonsai club if possible and learn as much as you can.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Not true. You can actually have a surprisingly small root structure with lots of foliage and occasionally vice versa... other factors can make a difference, but don't spread old myths... because that's what they are.

This post was edited by moochinka on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 22:13

• spaceman13
    9 years ago

Moochinka,
    I'm talking in general, middle of the road terms, so I guess "MUST" is too strong a word. Perhaps "SHOULD BE" would have been a better fit.

Sure there are exceptions, but the OP is probably not ready for exceptions. Best to keep things simple until the fundamentals are in place.

...and besides, I'm old, those ere the only kind of myths I know!

I'll have to read up on that, any links would be greatly appreciated.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Wish I could link you, but on that particular subject I wouldn't know where to begin... but you're right, it's relative of course, it's just that it seems so hard at times to change people's thinking, e.g. about putting a layer of stones or crocks at the bottom of pots 'for drainage'! It's actually counterproductive to an extent, and years ago was shown that the whole business of water tables, etc. did not apply in little pots, so should not have been perpetuated, but people being people... oh well!

Sponsored