Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewclimbs

5 year old Chinese Elm - just a few questions

andrewclimbs
10 years ago

Hello there,

Firslty, I am new to Bonsai and just recently bought a 5 year old Chinese Elm. I have situated the bonsai next to my window (so indoors) where it gets pretty much a full day of direct sunlight.
I have attempted to read through the web on tips and tricks but there seems to be a fair amount of junk out there. If you could answer these few questions that would be very much appreciated.
1) I water it 2-3 times a week, mainly via spraying it but also some directly in to the soil when I feel the soil is too dry. does this seem right?
2) My Bonsai does not seem anywhere near as mature as other 5 year old bonsai's, have I bought a dud one? (if possible), and how do I promote growth, particularly a thicker trunk?
3) If you could check out my photo that I have posted, do you think this is a decent enough set up for an indoor Chinese Elm, I am filling the bottom tray with water on most days to keep the humidity in the local area optimal which I have read is useful...so, is it?
as you can see I am very new to this so any help would be lovely.
p.s I posted as I live in Sydney, Australia and can only really find information about other parts of the world
thanks
andy

Comment (1)