Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Please tell me where to start shaping

jane__ny
14 years ago

Three years old in the same pot. I've just kept cutting the tips to keep it short...until I found this forum.

{{gwi:17044}}

{{gwi:17045}}

It has a very wide 'bump' at the bottom roots with some kind of green plant attached to it.

{{gwi:17046}}

I did order some bonsai books which haven't come yet. Would appreciate some direction. I have two of these, the other is not as healthy, I think I cut it back too much -

{{gwi:17047}}

Jane

Comments (21)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hi, Jane!
    I'm no good at ID's, but it looks as though you have a Ficus of some sort?
    The fact that you've kept it pruned and compact will make it easier to style.
    The second plant - the lankier of the two - will benefit from the pruning that
    you gave it. When you get some back-budding, you could prune it again. That
    said, I don't have any advice on specific shaping.

What styles have you considered so far?

Also, could you get a close-up shot of that growth?
    Looks interesting!

Josh

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, it is a ficus. I've been clipping it back for 3 years but thought I should be shaping it. I guess I'll wait until I get the books. I am new to this.

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please, please, any advice would be appreciated...

Jane

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Jane,
    I hate to volunteer Al (Tapla), but he's real good with Ficus advice.
    Maybe a private message to get him over here?

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Ficus microcarpa, Jane.

I would wire the lower branches flat & put a little movement into them. I would also (quickly, because it's getting late in the year) prune all branches back to 2 leaves. It looks like you have several branches emerging at the same height where the old top was terminated. I would remove all but the single branch that best compliments the trunk movement. Don't worry, the tree is VERY apically dominant & the apex is the easiest and fastest part of the tree to develop. Leave the tree outdoors in full sun until night temps are consistently below 50-55*, then either bring it in, or move it in & out as temperatures dictate (better). After this pruning, remove nothing additional from the tree until 2-3 weeks after you repot next Jun. Then, you will remove the long, lanky winter growth & start developing branches.

I can't see enough of the other tree to comment .... other than it's weak from lack of light. Did you recently acquire it, or has it been kept in a different spot than the other tree?

Al

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Jane,

I would suggest (next spring after it's outside for a while)de-foliate it completly. You will get a nice flush of new buds to pick from to make the new foliage more lush and dense. Once it's leaved out you can pick what goes and what stays. This is also a way to reduce leaf size over time. I've been doing this to a Retusa over time and the leaves are about half size now ;))

Bob

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both so much. I am rushing the weather and know I need to do something fast. Al, you are right about the other plant. It was stuck in a corner and forgotten. I'm amazed it is alive.

I always thought these were low light plants. I have them 3 years and they came in a bag with just roots.

Jane

14 years ago

You may wish to consider that the advice to defoliate comes from Viet Nam, where most Ficus can be defoliated several times per year w/o missing a beat. Those of us growing in the neighborhood of the 45th parallel, like you and I, need to be more conservative in our approach to developing our tropical trees, especially if they are also in need of major root work, as I'm assuming yours are.

I would leave the foliage intact next year until the plant has recovered from your Jun repot, then cut it back hard, but do not defoliate. You will get lots of new breaks (back-budding) whether or not you defoliate if you follow the guidelines I offered.

Take care.

Al

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Well I use to live in Pa. Al, grew northern hardy as well as some tropicals. Never had a problem as far as defoliation of most trees.
    Jane, they can be grown in low light however, they will be very 'leggy' and pretty ugly after a while.

Bob

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both although I am too afraid to totally defoliate. If you take a look a pic #1&2 can you explain why the base of the tree trunk is so large? Is this tree a graft?

Jane

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Didn't see a post about re-potting. If the pot is draining well there is no reason to re-pot, I do see a lot of room in the pot and would just say 'slip-pot' it for now. All you have to do is carefully lift the plant and add soil to the bottom of it, without tearing up the root-mass, add some soil then put it back in and gently chopstick everything.

The way the buttress/base is that way is probably because it was a 'mother plant', cuttings were taken for a few years then it was retired from service. Hey, it ain't really Bonsai but someone will buy it as long as the tag says 'Bonsai'. Besides grafting a Ficus would be as anal as...
    thinking for a few...

renting a hotel room then spending a day scrubbing the grout in the shower.

Bob

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! You are right!

14 years ago

The trunk is that way because the plant is F. microcarpa (ginseng Ficus) and the species is genetically programmed to grow that way. This plant always grows with a caudex-like base, and the specialized root structures have nothing to do with it having been a "mother plant" or used for cuttings.

If Jane has been tending the plant for 3 years (and I'm assuming) without repotting, the tree needs repotting. A novice is very likely to think a soil drains well if water comes out the drain, but we know that the tree was an import and very likely sold in a poor soil to begin with. The 'black' appearance of the soil tells us that it's well-composted and very water retentive, which in my book is more than ample reason to repot. No one I know would say that a tree planted in soupy soil doesn't need repotting, simply because the plant doesn't look crowded.

The problem is, she shouldn't prune AND repot now, because it would weaken the tree too much (unless it's to be grown under very good lights). Slip-potting doesn't solve the issue of the highly water retentive soil, and dissimilar soils in a planting are not a good thing. Using a similar soil doesn't cure the water retention issue, and using a well-aerated bonsai soil will change nothing because the old soil will still retain roughly the same amount of water it would if it was untampered with.

Your tree DOES need a repot, Jane, but I would still wait until spring. If you're interested in going deeper into strategies that will allow you to keep your tree healthy in the same soil it's in until it's more appropriate to repot (early summer), or if you'd rather repot now & forgo the hard pruning until spring, let me know. Otherwise, I'll simply leave you to your own devices & wish you the best.

To help decide, ask yourself: Do I want to repot now & basically leave the tree looking as it does until next summer, or do I want to prune the tree & employ strategies that will allow the tree to get through the winter in good vitality before I repot in Jun.

Al

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Jane, you must do everything Al says or give it up. Seems he's the only one on this board who seems to know everything about everything. Keep in mind that you grew this plant for what, 3 years, with total neglect? Should tell you something? You're messing with a plant that is one of the 'junk-yard dogs' of the Ficus...it will take whatever abuse you give it ( well other than burning or absolute freezing ) and keep growing.

Nothing about any plant species is cast in stone...Bonsai is (or should be) part art, part horticulture but mostly pleasure and enjoyment.
    Take soil. In the US I had a very good 2-part mix that was the best (with variations) for anything. Here I have one choice; some kind of sand and some of stone, that's it. There is no other choice, my trees are in it, grow well in it. Others around the world freak!

Bob

14 years ago

Insinuating that nothing ill will come of subjecting a plant to continued poor cultural conditions or pruning/repotting practices simply because it is genetically vigorous is as ridiculous as the sarcasm. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about, act like an adult and point to my errors, but focus on the facts and save the sarcasm for someone who might be distracted by it - it doesn't do your credibility any good.

I'll be happy to discuss the basic science, horticulture or physiology with you, which will tend to establish our individual places in the pecking order, if that's what you wish. If you want to discuss the physics behind how water behaves in soils, I'm up for that, too. If you have a case, make it. Two adults SHOULD be able to disagree (and state their cases) w/o a personal war, but the luxury of an opinion w/o the inconvenience of thought is simply not fair to the OP.

Al

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Ok, that was good for a morning chuckle, didn't realize there was a 'pecking order' in here? Also no, not interested in a war, you can be at the top of the pecking order...please be at the top Al...please!! I will, in the future, avoid posting anything to a person which you are attempting to give advice to...maybe.

Bob

14 years ago

I offered you the opportunity to discuss the merits of your theories so that you could establish your credentials and illustrate the depth of your knowledge to the forum if you'd like. I have no interest in a pecking order, and it's not the soundness of my offerings being questioned, it's yours. I'll simply point out to the forum that you were invited to discuss the merits of your theories in depth and the best you could muster is more sarcasm and distortion. Again, not a particularly adult way to handle disagreement.

Al

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

'Caution: the subject material may not be suitable for all ages.'

Al--give it a rest, ok? You're gonna pop an artery over this, it's only Bonsai. There's no need to justify the 'merits' of my 'theories in depth' nor 'point out to the forum that i was invited to discuss' anything and didn't. However, go to it if you feel the need.

The 30+ years I've worked in Bonsai gave me a lot of experience about many things related to the sport. Not from a book or things from the web but actual hands on experience. I've written for the ABS Journal (plus a few other publications) and have an article in this issue, produced a few beginner vids, operated a landscape business for about 15 years, maintained a growing field for Bonsai (600 to 800 trees), which thousands of dollars of finished potted trees were sold out of.

I was on-call to a few area nurseries and societies to do workshops and Bonsai demonstrations at the beginner and advanced level and, conducted spring 'tune-ups' for advanced people. For a number of years I was the 'go-to' guy in the Pittsburgh area if you needed a Jap. Maple or other plant in a Japanese Garden, shaped or pruned.

I'm a published author/writer, a 3-Tour Vietnam Vet, semi-retired, now living and working in Vietnam teaching English. I am back to having a few nice trees and working on a few more. No, I don't speak Latin for a plants name and I don't speak all Japanese when talking about style or a part of a style or part of a tree. These people are beginners.

Now, since you have refuted everything I have ever posted on this forum...that won't be enough for you and I realize that, no problem. Keep in mind that I've probably killed more trees (over the years) than you've seen and, I've probably forgotten more (at least about Bonsai) than you know at this point.

I have also dealt with some sarcasm from you at times, so, don't be the pot calling the frying pan black huh?

Bob

14 years ago

Lol - Sorry, but I very seldom employ sarcasm. When I do, it's very brief and certainly not like the habit I'm dealing with here. I find it childish and would rather rely on reason and submit offerings I can explain - that are rooted in sound science/horticulture/botany ...., not conjecture (or I remain silent). I didn't mean you could establish your credentials via self-aggrandizement. That's really a poor way for us to take your measure. What you post here is a much better gauge.

I rarely mention any accomplishments, but I've also been published in the Journal of the ABS, in several other hard copy magazines, newspapers, online magazines - journals, more newsletters than I can count ..... I teach, do demos, lecture to bonsai (and dozens of garden) clubs you get the picture; and as for your other experience .... so what? I have only 15 years of hands-on practical experience, but I've also been very diligent in applying myself to the plant and related sciences specifically to improve my abilities in the bonsai area. It doesn't matter to me who knows more about what - it's not important. I will say though, that some of your offerings on this thread and others DO indicate the value YOU place on your experience is far greater than your your offerings indicate it deserves.

None of this even touches on the way you've repeatedly bludgeoned the beginners that come here with your holier than though attitude.

While I'm sure the exaggeration that you've killed more trees than I've seen isn't true, I can't help but agree it's almost a certainty you've killed more trees than I. The rest of the exaggerations get a pass. This is wearisome, so please have the last word. I know you'll fight for it anyway.

I'm very sorry, Jane. I hope you can disregard the last several posts & look upthread for light in this thread while ignoring the heat.

Al

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Well, I mostly come here on my down-time and lately you've been fun to screw with...sorry bou dat.

You asked for my credentials, I provided them, simple. While I was typing that I already knew how you were gonna reply. I knew long ago (after the first sarcastic post, following one of mine) that anything I post will be wrong.

"The rest of the exaggerations get a pass."

What were the rest? Me thinks you are 'assuming' something? What would that be? I'm really interested.

"That's really a poor way for us to take your measure."

"Us" Hmmmm, no one but you has ever asked for my CV...really didn't think anyone else cared and, you seem to be deep into it but don't like any of it at all.

Sure I've been a little hard on some beginners, gee sorry. The ones who really are pretty lazy and coming in looking for all of the answers from the forum. If they come here they are connected, that means they have the means to Google and well, there is a wealth of info in the web that is a big help.

"Please help, I just bought my first Banzi tree from Wal-Mart and I think it's dying!!!!!! I don't know what kind of banzi it is but it's cute, what do I do? I don't want this little tree to die!!! Please help me!!!!!"

The ones with -10 common sense? She could have walked another 10 feet and bought a crappy book with very basic Banze tips. Hmmmmmm? No prob, I'll let you coddle them along.

Bob

Ya Jane, thank you for allowing us to use the thread for this tripe.
    Bob

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Be my guest...

Jane

Sponsored