Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
head_cutter

Small leaved Star Jasmine

head_cutter
15 years ago

Sort of a medium sized tree, the pot is 18" long, the tree is 22" tall, the buttress (above the first root) is 4.5".

There was some original work done but then the tree was let go. In another pic you'll see how I brought it home...a mass of suckers!!! There was about half a day just getting the root ball worked out and cut down for the pot, plus removing a small forest of suckers.

This will never be a thing of beauty but I love the gnarlyness of the trunk.

{{gwi:17175}}

Comments (9)

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Profile same tree, it's potted so that the trunk leans toward the viewer then, at the first branch, begins to lean away. As you can see there are some new branches beginning to grow and the new apex has launched.

{{gwi:17177}}

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was taken right after I brought it home...sucker city!! But, I had done some major looking before picking this one out of the 4 big ones there, I knew that it had a substantial trunk and buttress plus that nice little curve in the trunk. I didn't notice any shock at all after the major root reduction and potting, it just went on growing.

The leaves are very small, not quite half an inch long and nice and narrow.

For those that worry about soil mix--it's growing in a mix of coarse sand, about 60% and (what passes for 'dirt' here) old cow manure mixed with sand, about 40%. Two large drain holes in the pot are covered with galvanized screen and the water just runs through it...it will need that drainage when the monsoon season begins LOL!!

{{gwi:17179}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I like it! What a gnarl!
    It looks like something out of the Holy Land...
    a Desert Jewel, a star of green amid the sand...

What are your plans for it?

Will it resprout from any point along the trunk?

Thanks for the pics. So seldom does this forum receive any activity. I'm always checking in, crossing my fingers for a new Thread or an update.

Josh

15 years ago

Ah, I see we cross-posted! That pic helps.

Where were all the suckers coming from?

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The suckers pop up all over the roots and yes, new buds are always breaking all over the trunk. It's tha nature of the tree, I just keep ripping the suckers off and rubbing off the buds which I don't want on the trunk.

I have 3 nice branches going since that pic was taken to make it appear better, I'll post some pics as it grows in a little more over time. They are very vigerous growers. I have a smaller one started to work it 2 months ago and I'm constantly cutting it back to about nothing.

Bob

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It didn't 'hurt' me too bad either. The tree cost me 200.000VND or about $10, the pot was 25.000VND or about $1.50.

15 years ago

I wish I could get pot(s) that cheap! ;)
    Ha!

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are not that great, the bigger pots here are cast cement, that's why I have to replace the pot for the big Ficus in the water, it's been repaired about 4 times and is leaking again in about 4 places. There are several places in the US that sell a pot that has the brand name of 'Mica'. They are made in Korea out of a mix of clay and rubber. They are fairly inexpensive tough and good looking.

15 years ago

Thanks for the tip!
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for 'Mica' pots!

And, please, post updates whenever you can.

Josh

Sponsored