Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryanscott_gw

Wintering a Juniper in Harsh Winter Temperatures

bryanscott
11 years ago

So I made my first bonsai attempt earlier this summer with a garden-center-purchased juniper. It's not exactly a looker, otherwise I would have posted a photo or two.

Anyways, I hope to keep it alive over the harsh Manitoba winter that is on its way. It was 84'F yesterday, but that won't last long; in three months time it could be as cold as -40'F.

I know it's the roots I need to protect. So my plan is to bury the whole plant/pot up to the soil line in a large soil-filled plastic bin. I'll probably wrap the pot with a plastic bag so that it's good soil doesn't get mixed with the cheapo soil that will be in the bin. I'll then place the bin up against the house where it will be mostly sheltered from the wind (but not the snow) and pick up some residual heat from the house.

Does this sound like a good plan? I also have an unheated garage where I can store the plant/bin.

The plant could potentially be buried in the snow for 6 months. I'm going to miss it. This really makes me think that in this climate it's best to stick with tropicals and just keep them indoors.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor