Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally Started One

Posted by Edymnion none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 12:49

After messing around with getting peppers ready to give the bonsai treatment, I said screw it, I want to try the real thing. Went for a little hike through my woods and found a nice little cedar all ready to go.

Here's hoping it survives, I'd hate to think I chopped down such a pretty little tree for nothing.

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally Started One

If those come out sideways, its because photobucket it still messing around with them.

And yes, I did wax over the cut trunk after taking this picture. No reason to stress the poor thing any more than I have to.

o

Sorry, but I have my doubts that this will survive. Now is the wrong time to try collecting, and leaving that little amount of foliage on a cedar is a bad idea. Also, the soil is very peaty, a bad idea for collected material. Keep it in the shade and cross your fingers, but don't be too shocked if it does die.

o

I have my concerns about the timing, too.
And I also agree that the soil muck looks terrible.

Also, what actual species is this? Is it a Cedrus, a Juniperus?

Josh

o

Eh, if it doesn't survive it won't be a big loss, got a forest full of them.

I have no clue what kind it is, just picked the first one that looked suitable.

And the soil is normal potting soil mix with a lot of water crystals added.

Yeah, not the best time to harvest, but I'm homeshored now and being driven slowly insane by cabin fever, so it was this or buy a volleyball to paint a face on.

o

Wilson!!! ;-)

I'd avoid the water crystals in the future. Potting soil will compact and hold excessive moisture
on its own...without the added impact of the crystals.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here