Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dash_2006

How do I start to make Bonsai from these?

dash_2006
10 years ago

I found the 5" seedlings of Golden Rain Tree and Redbud in my friend's yard and transplanted them in 20" diameter pots. Is it possible to make them Bonsai trees? I am not even sure it will survive as it is.

I would appreciate any comments on how to grow and take care, what the size should be, how long to take to flower, etc.

Is it worth it or just too difficult?

{{gwi:17796}}

{{gwi:17798}}

Comments (15)

• michael1846
    10 years ago

Wait till they get bigger then cut off 1/3 of there roots then that's shouild stunt there groth fine my bonsai allways survive with this method

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Michael.

I will be just very happy watching them survive and grow. So, I will try my best to let them grow and see they get to a certain size to even think about Bonsai.

Stunting, torturing, planting in that shallow tray seem to be very foreign to me as I have never been a Bonsai keeper. But, in a way, it is exciting to get into it this way.

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Michael.

I will be just very happy watching them survive and grow. So, I will try my best to let them grow and see they get to a certain size to even think about Bonsai.

Stunting, torturing, planting in that shallow tray seem to be very foreign to me as I have never been a Bonsai keeper. But, in a way, it is exciting to get into it this way.

• michael1846
    10 years ago

I am in no means a pro but I have many bonsi and I enjoy them let me go over 1 thing tho BONSAI ARE NOT INDOOR PLANTS

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael,

Yes, I am aware of their needs for sun. Right now, they are sitting at the east exposure balcony. So. I am thinking of creating a protected space there during the coming winter.

I have been successful in overwintering for roses and perennials potted plants there. Other than protecting the pots from cold weather and supplying occasional water, do you have any winter suggestions for trees?

Only difficulties I had for roses were sudden unexpected cold spells long after I removed the protection in warm spring weather. The leafed out rose branches were 90% killed. I guess trees may be tougher?

• michael1846
    10 years ago

It depends all on the tree please continue making updates even if not much groth has happened I would greatly enjoy pictures

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right now, they look the same. How slow the growth in general is! But I will be excited to post the photos when they are a little bigger. Stay tuned, please.

Thanks

• michael1846
    10 years ago

Are they recovering from the transplant (now would be the best time to buy wire and bonsai fertilizer)

• moochinka
    10 years ago

Dash - you don't understand, it's not about 'Sun', but their need to experience 4 seasons a year, including the fall when it gets cold (and they go dormant, to renew themselves for spring) and winter when they're completely dormant and shouldn't be watered, and spring when they start to awaken - and the sun beginning in Feb. does help in this case, but they often cannot be moved (frozen into ground) til even May. Do some reading! The only trees that survive indoors for more than a season or two are tropicals.

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

moochinka,

Thanks. So, for potted trees, what is the best to do in cold winter? I don't have a ground space to put these pots on. The pots will be exposed to the cold and wind of a 3rd floor apt balcony facing east. Can I just leave them there without water (or maybe sporadic watering)?

For roses and perennials, I need to protect the root area. Do you think tree roots will survive zero degrees without protection?

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael and Moochinka,

Here are update pictures of these tree seedlings. You notice that I put some small pine mulch in the pots.

The Golden Rain Tree is showing a new growth at the tip. Some bug damage are there as well.
    {{gwi:17800}}

The Red Bud is doing well but very slow in growth.
    {{gwi:17801}}

• dethcheez
    10 years ago

Just my 2 cents

Small pot
    Only about 1/3 filled with soil
    Once it get root bond find & cut the tap root
    Stick in a Bonsai pot

Not an expert
    But Works For Me

• rrx8
    10 years ago

If you wanna know more on bonsai trees, please check out my site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The art style of a bonsai tree

• rrx8
    10 years ago

If you wanna know more on bonsai trees, please check out my site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The art style of a bonsai tree

• dash_2006
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deathcheez,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I 'll have to shape them into Bosai. I don't know much about it. I may have to study a lot to understand what it is to make Bonsai, cutting tap root and transplanting in a small shallow pot. It is scary and intimidating, for sure ;)

rrx8,

Thank you for introducing me to your beautiful website. History, art, how to take care, ... everything is very intriguing and exciting. Looking at pictures, I can see the depth of enjoyment. I can look at them all day and meditate. I feel it is mostly the art. Creating such a wonderful specimen itself is owe striking.

Somebody told me once that every Japanese man goes to either Bonsai or orchids when he gets to a certain age. I understand it now. Thanks again.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County