Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stkeys

Ligustrum Bonsai need help please.

stkeys
11 years ago

Hello, I purchased an 18+ year old Ligustrum Bonsai tree from a seller on Ebay who grows these in CA. I live in East Texas. The tree arrived in great condition around 10 days ago. I purchased this tree for indoors and even though he only grows them outdoors he told me it should be ok.

The pot it came in had a few cracks ( which he had told me of ) so I was eager to repot it. I asked him if it was ok to repot this time of year ( Autumn ) rather than waiting for late winter/spring, he said it would be fine.

I've repoted it in a nice 10" pot with drip tray after trimming off some of the old roots and using new bonsai potting mix that came with the new pot. I also added some moss to the surface.

I have the tree situated in my living room under an Aerogarden 3 bulb lamp ( I took the middle bulb out just incase 3 was too much ) and there was around 5 inches from top of tree to bulbs.

About 5 days ago I noticed leaves were drying up and dropping off. I contacted the seller and he advised to put it outside straight away thinking it was too hot inside.

He obviously doesn't know Texas lol. It's been fluctuating from 60's in the morning up to 90 degrees in the afternoon.

I've since set the lamp a little higher and added pea gravel to the tray and added water to help humidify the tree. I've also sprayed the tree a few times but read that this is not so helpful as the water in the tray.

The tree is still dropping leaves. I understand now that it's in shock from transporting, re-potting and being indoors rather than out.

My question is what can I do to prevent further stress and help it back to health.

thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored