Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermi

Ficus benjamina questions

vermi
16 years ago

I have a small Ficus benjamina that was given to me as a Christmas gift. It is a really beautiful plant, and quite a nice addition to my small living space! I have a few questions, though...

First, I'm not sure about the soil it was originally potted in. It looks like plain old potting soil, with some akadama and pebbles thrown on top to give it color. There's a lot of mulchy stuff in there, too. In my opinion, it retains far too much water (the tree has been producing a lot of chlorotic leaves lately, even though I tend to only water it when the soil is noticeably dry). In addition to that, the soil is eroding away from the base of the tree, leaving some upper portions of the roots exposed. While this isn't really that big of a deal, it doesn't look too great. My main idea right now is that I want to re-pot this guy...or, at least, replace the soil in the same pot. It hasn't outgrown its home just yet. I've heard that a lot of people tend to use just fired clay, while others prefer a particular mix. So, my first real question is, what sort of soil mix would be the most beneficial for my little fig?

Second is more of an aesthetic matter that could have repercussions on the health of the tree. The leaves are a bit too large for a tree this size, and I was considering defoliation as a way to get smaller leaves to develop. Do you have any advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you all can give. :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored