Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooperdr_gw

Evergreen ID? What's it called?

cooperdr_gw
9 years ago

I'm planning on eventually turning some cuttings from this bush into bonsais. Not sure what it's called and remember it wouldn't look anything like this if I didn't prune it about five times a year. Does anyone know what it's called? Thanks

Comments (20)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

One small picture of 1-2 leaves/needles would be a lot more helpful... it may be a rhododendrom (azalea cousin) but I wouldn't swear it's not a juniper... can't tell anything from this picture.

This post was edited by moochinka on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 15:01

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is that any better moochinka? The leaves are about half an inch long usually when they're fully grown.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Rhododendron

• NorthwestPlanter
    9 years ago

i would call it a taxus (yew) I wouldn't say it was a rhododendron at all.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Nothing like a yew... Google yew branch under Images. The leaves in the last pic are just curled up, but they're leaves, not needles!

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah a rhotodendren isn't in that pine/spruce/hemlock type of family. It has big rubbery leaves that wilt in the winter.

• qwade
    9 years ago

Taxus Baccata---- common yew

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I also say yew.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I think moochinka must be seeing a different image than we are.

This plant is clearly a conifer.

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah the cuttings I took (I had three) all seem green and no needles fell off so that's good but the one I pulled out to check didn't have roots. I'll just wait a while on the other ones.

• qwade
    9 years ago

Cooper you should work the tree. Needs to lose some branches and develop better pads.Would make a nice Niwaki (garden tree.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxus niwaki

• moochinka
    9 years ago

OMG - So sorry!! The picture is in such close-up mode that I honestly thought I was seeing rolled up leaves, but now realize those are most certainly needles!

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No prob Moochinka.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Taxus baccata

Al

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wonder if there are any roots yet.. Not likely but they're still green.

• vancewood
    9 years ago

YEW Taxus species Bacatta or one of the Japanese Yews common in the nursery trade.

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I think the cuttings are still alive but I don't know if they have roots. If they ever do grow roots then I'll get some nice bonsai pots.

9 years ago

If your cuttings strike, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to put them in bonsai pots. You'll get the best results if you plant them out (in the garden/beds/yard ....) and let them put some size on. They will grow MANY times faster in the ground than in a pot.

If you can't manage this arrangement, them putting them in a very large pot with a soil that drains well enough that it won't compromise their well being will also give fast growth. Inexpensive colanders or plastic baskets used for pond plants work well because of the great gas exchange they offer; and to a certain degree, they promote self-pruning of the roots, which makes for a bore fibrous root system.

You don't say what zone you're in - you should include that in your user info. if you're trying to root these plants indoors, you're 99% sure to fail. The plants should be outdoors if you're in zone 7 or higher, and somewhere protected if you're in zone 6 or lower. If they are already outdoors and haven't struck, rooting might not occur until spring. If they were my cuttings, I'd have them buried against the north side of my home's foundation or they'd be on the tables in my attached garage with the rest of the temperate plants that over-winter there.

Good to see you, Vance! Vance is a bonsai artist whose trees speak to his abilities. If he hangs around, he'll offer some very good insight.

Al

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No they are outdoors on a screen porch. I'm in Kansas and probably zone 6a but I don't really like the zone system. The weather here is too unpredictable. So you think I should plant them in the ground now?

9 years ago

It's fairly critical they're not exposed to drying winds while they're rooting in pots, but I regularly stick cuttings of Taxus, Juniperus, Chamaecyparis, Thuja, Tsuga, and other evergreens in the ground in places where the soil will remain moist over winter. I have raised beds dedicated to plants growing on for bonsai and stick a lot of cuttings there. Most strike, but can take much longer than you might expect - up to a year - and it's important the soil never dries out, which ends the great experiment in a flash.

Al

This post was edited by tapla on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 12:31

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA