Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willow Leaf Ficus...dying? Help appreciated

Posted by Skel none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 19:56

I received this willow leaf ficus as a gift a few months ago, and it was doing quite well until I moved into a new apartment about a month ago. I used to keep it on a windowsill where it received some direct and some indirect sun throughout the day. I haven't really found a good place for it to sit now at my new apartment. I've been watering it as I usually do - I soak it in a bowl of water every week. I'm not sure if it's the sunlight that's caused most of the leaves to fall off and the remainder of the leaves to turn brown/yellow. The photo in the bottom right corner is what it used to look like. The rest of the pictures show how it looks now. I don't know much about bonsai's and this is my first one. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willow Leaf Ficus...dying? Help appreciated

Oh dear... I have to tell you I think it's close to 'gone' if not already there... ficus not only need lots of high light all day but only need water (in fast draining soil) when they really need it, and being soaked in a bowl is not how nature does it, especially if you are using potting soil without lots and lots of grit in it. Lots of humidity is good however, but I think you need to first look into care for individual plants and bonsai before buying because you will end up unhappy oitherwise. I think your 'tree' is probably beyond resurrection now.

o

• Posted by Skel none (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 21:55

That's what I was afraid to hear. I was given this bonsai as a gift, with no knowledge of how to care for a bonsai when I received it. I called the flower shop where it was purchased, and all they told me was to put it in a bowl of water once a week for about 10-20 minutes. This bonsai has come close to dying before but fortunately I was able to resurrect it. I'm not so sure it will have the same luck this time. I wonder if I could try re-potting it or giving it some type of nutrients? However, I don't know the first thing about re-potting a bonsai. I've only owned it for 6 or so months now.

o

Don't repot or give it stuff - won't help if it's too weak to handle them. I would suggest enclosing it all in a big, clear plastic bag, but with all the water in the soil it will rot. Ficus need relatively dry soil to grow in (well watered when done, but not done very often), water only when it starts looking a bit droopy, and lots of sun and humidity in the air (a spritz of mist daily isn't enough, a 'system' or at least lots of spritz's are, tho' watch for that water going into the soil too).

o

• Posted by Skel none (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 1:20

Thanks for the advice. For now I think I'll try keeping it under full sun, and not watering it for a while (I watered it today). Once the soil gets a little dryer I might try doing the plastic bag. We'll see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here