Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Montmorillonite Clay?

Edymnion
12 years ago

After reading up and deciding on a good alternative to akadama, I settled on montmorillonite clay since I could get a large bag of it for $7 at an auto store as oil absorber. Anyway, I double checked the back of the bag, ingredients listed as being m. clay and silicates (sand particles, presumably), so I poured some into a jar and added water to see how well it absorbed.

The stuff fizzed like I had just poured a can of soda into a glass. No foam, but very loud fizzing and the jar quickly filled with a white vapor. My first thought was nucleation (that the clay was providing sites for the oxygen dissolved in the water to immediately fall out of suspension), but the vapor had a distinct smell and the clay was noticeably warmer to the touch than it had been earlier.

That makes me think there is a chemical reaction that took place, but I don't know what.

Anybody else messed around with this stuff? Didn't seem to continue reacting when I put more water in it, so it may just be that I need to rinse it thoroughly before using it, but it would be more comforting to hear someone else say "Oh yeah, thats normal. Always does that, don't worry about it."

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville