Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my Chinese Elm Please!

Posted by EricGio none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:02

Hello,

I'm new to owning a bonsaii tree. I know a lot of people will complain because a chinese elm bonsaii is my first ever plant that I've owned. But I've read up on it a lot online and have been trying to keep it taken care of like they say.

So...I've had it for about 3 weeks. I got some new small leaf buds growing, it looked healthy, and everything was fine. I was keeping it indoors with good direct sunlight, carefully watering it and not overwatering....

Then a few days ago some of the leaves started to change color - dark on the ends - not falling off - just getting dark on the ends. One changed to yellow. They're not dry just dark. I did get concerned so I'm keeping it outside now on my porch which is East facing.

Could you please take a look at the pictures of the leaves and tell me what you think the problem is? Thank you!

http://s944.photobucket.com/user/EricGio871/media/photo_zps93b42af5.jpg.html

-Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my Chinese Elm Please!

Having trouble viewing the photo bud, but yellow leaves on an Elm are usually indicative of too much water.

o

Thank you. Not sure how to get the picture to work. There seems to have only been one leaf that turned yellow, a lot of them are turning dark on the ends - they look like these:

http://s944.photobucket.com/user/EricGio871/media/photo_zps93b42af5.jp g.html

except a little more dried out on the ends. That probably indicates under-watering when they're like this too right?

o

When leaves of just about any plant go dark (along with twigs and sometimes trunk) it's overwatering or a fungus brought on by overwatering. It's not so much the amount you give it (all the roots need some so sprinkling the top won't do it), but the time you leave between waterings that's important, plus the sun it gets, time of year, and soil mix.

o

When leaves of just about any plant go dark (along with twigs and sometimes trunk) it's overwatering or a fungus brought on by overwatering. It's not so much the amount you give it (all the roots need some so sprinkling the top won't do it), but the time you leave between waterings that's important, plus the sun it gets, time of year, and soil mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here