Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcaren_gw

Has anyone tried sassafrass? (newbie question)

mcaren
16 years ago

I've never bonsai'd (is that a word?), but have been reading posts and trying to learn from many books and websites. (I do have a bougainvillea bonsai that was given to me, and it's managed to survived for a few years in spite of me...)

We've got a small area near a shed that we need to clear, and there are two or three young sassafrass trees that need to go (the biggest is probably 5 feet tall). I love these trees and they always remind me of my grandmother; I'd like to save them and thought this might be the time to practice bonsai. The leaves are fairly large, and I've read that some types of tree leaves don't reduce well -- would this be one of those?

If they are suitable, could anyone advise me on how to best pot it (or them)? I'm confused; I've seen online instructional video showing someone taking fairly large seedlings and trimming them drastically and putting them into small bonsai pots -- but I've also read that some suggest placing newly-uprooted trees into large pots first.

Thanks very much for the advice. mcaren

Comment (1)

• vermi
    16 years ago

Sassafras doesn't like to have its roots cut, so I don't think it would be a very good candidate for bonsai.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner