Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madisonlouise96

Buying a bonsai gift

madisonlouise96
10 years ago

I want to get my stepfather a bonsai starter kit for christmas. I don't know anything about bonsai plants and I was wondering when the best time to buy one would be; whether I can do it now or whether I need to wait until closer to the date.

Comments (6)

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

I looked and seen your from Australia...so that means something. It said Northern states get warm winters and Southern states get colder temps.

That said...It also said . December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring.

So December being Christmas...it is warm there. So I would imagine it is all on what you would think he would like. You need to check on how one deals with the Bonsai come winter...for your bonsai may need winterized...depending on what which you choose. Though...an indoor bonsai...could be moved in near a bright sunny window per say...when colder temps move in.

They say Juniper are easy for beginners...but that is an outdoor bonsai. Would need to see if your winters would be okay for it...or if you would need to winterize it. But they can withstand colder temps.

Jade is another popular indoor Bonsai. Very popular...and easy to care for. There are some cute pots with land water features...with a man fishing.

What a great gift idea...I've read many got their feet wet for the hobby...as a gift was given to them.

Tropical indoor bonsai...I have a Bougainvillea. Just got it...but it is said to be relatively easy to care for. But there are many beautiful selections. I went with that one because when I was on a mission trip to Honduras...they had this particular tree in the court yard. So when it blooms it will remind me of our time sitting by the tree eating our evening meal at the guest house in the city...our last night there.

BEWARE of bonsai that have glued pebbles...it can potentially harm the tree. I picked up a Juniper that was my "first" bonsai and it had the dreaded glue. Luckily it was a new shipment...and I learned of how harmful it was on Facebook the same day I purchased it. I was able to remove the glue and it actually had new growth on it. So it most likely will survive...Which is rare from what I've gathered.

Good luck...

• madisonlouise96
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that information. If I'm buying the plant for christmas, which is about 3 months away, when do you believe I should buy it?

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Depends on if you feel you can care for it properly...if you feel you can offer it what it needs for care...and find the "right" one. I would say anytime. If you can't care for it...then I would wait.

Bonsainut.com is another site only for bonsai...it has sections on all types of bonsai. I've learned a lot from the different sections there.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Depends on if you feel you can care for it properly...if you feel you can offer it what it needs for care...and find the "right" one. I would say anytime. If you can't care for it...then I would wait.

Bonsainut.com is another site only for bonsai...it has sections on all types of bonsai. I've learned a lot from the different sections there.

• rrx8
    10 years ago

If you need to learn more on bonsai trees. Please check out my site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Art style of a bonsai tree.

• rrx8
    10 years ago

If you need to learn more on bonsai trees. Please check out my site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Art style of a bonsai tree.