Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennyjune

precious bonsai

dennyjune
15 years ago

Hi I used to post here regularly a few years ago

My mum died around 3yrs ago and I was given the task of taking care of her bonsai collection.. I was the only one with any experience (mum taught me!)

Things have been going quite well but lately her Morton Bay fig has had more and more leaves with spots. I wasn't too worried as the new growth was okay but my instints are telling me something is wrong.

I will try and post and image or link to an outside page.

I am really hoping there is someone out there who can let me know..Is it fungus or maybe a mite?

Here is a link that might be useful: spotty leaves

Comments (7)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi and welcome back.. Would it make sense to think that the tree's been watered too often (the easy answer) and/or that the mix it's in should have a higher percentage of grit that allows it to drain faster, and/or that the pot's been allowed to sit in water, rather than up on stones in a humidity tray? It's usually all about water, and proportional light (the duller the light, the less often water is needed) and I would make sure it's got lots of light for around 15 hours a day, plus add a little fungicide the next time you water (and the time after that), as well as decide about the mix and how you're judging dryness.

• buddaboy
    15 years ago

Denny,
    Lucy is right on track with her suggestions, I would also like to ask: When did you feed it last? Where are you? My figs yellow & drop leaves through sudden climate change. Hot > cold, cold > hot, either change can upset them.
    Good Luck,
    Ron

• dennyjune
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ron Youre in QLD! I live in Brissie so yes it could be cold but the other figs don't have these particular spots. I am sure it's not overwatering as its bonsai mix and been repotted. It has had seaweed and organic fertilizer in the past month. Would it hurt to treat it for fungicide if it's not that? Thank you both for your replies. I forgot what a caring community this is..

• buddaboy
    15 years ago

Ok, this means you are getting ready for the growth spurt, not waiting for it to snow. LOL Im in Gladstone, so Weve got a little more heat & humidity here. As your in brissie you are at least in the natural range of the tree, which can help with local knowledge & support. I would treat it with a fugicide, And look at where the plant is positioned. If it is not in full sun, or has just been moved to full sun, that can cause the loss of some leaves. Is there any new foliage? if the tree has just been repotted, that can have a settling in period. There is a nursery at morayfeild, just off the buchannon road exit, and the Lady who runs it is extremelly freindly & helpfull. I have added the website link below( if it works LOL). I am not involved in this nursery, or advertising for them in any way at all. I came across them when I was visiting my Rellies in Nerangba.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai North Nursery

• lucy
    15 years ago

And for the ultimate in ficus help, go to www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html - best info on the web!

• buddaboy
    15 years ago

Yes, thats true Lucy. The difference is that we dont treat them as an indoor plant here. Also Ive found it better whenever possible to talk face to face with someone in my area. Especially when Im dealing with native species. No disrespect intended towards Jerry Mieslik, Ive looked over his site and it has very good and helpful information.

Ron

• dennismc
    15 years ago

Hi there. I haven't posted here in long while either. Just called by and found your post.

If the tree is replacing the leaves, even if slowly, then u have nothing to worry about. This spotting that looks so horrible seems to be related to the change in seasons for figs. Some years it can be worse than others. I would not worry about it unless the tree continues to lose vigour.

I doubt that in an outdoor climate such as Brissie it would be possible to overwater a MB fig. Indeed, I would be more concerned with ensuring that it gets good light and plenty of water. Of course, this does not apply to figs kept indoors and/or in a cool climate.

regards
    Dennis Mc

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists