Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Air layering

paul3636
17 years ago

Can conifers be air layered?

Branches and/or trunks?

If they can what is the best medium peat, turface; best time of year:Etc.?

Are there web sites with articles and or books with this information.

What conifers would be the easiest to start with?Any that wont take air layering?

Paul

Comments (11)

• lucy
    17 years ago

Didn't you get some good answers to this on that other forum? The answer is still yes, but the time of year would be spring, not now. If you airlayer without a container, you'd use sphagnum moss. With one, probably a peat/perlite mix (the same as you'd use for rooting any plant). Do a little researching on your own (Google) as we've all had to do and by the spring you'll be an expert.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lucy
    Reasearch is what the winter is for.
    I'm looking for a direction a starting point.
    And not much help under conifers. I was told junipers send out roots when they touch the ground.
    I have not checked yet today too see if there are any other replies.
    And by the way "air layering of conifer" was googled w/o much success that's why I posted on what I thought were my 2 best bets.
    Paul

• raiun42
    17 years ago

Paul
    When you say conifers, you are covering a lot of plant speices.
    Some of them like Chamecyparis ,and Juniper Procumbens nana
    are easy. others, like some of the pines are beyond me and difficult and time consuming for experts.
    Which conifers are you interested in ?.
    R

• lucy
    17 years ago

Oh, did you mean you were just researching now for the spring? Sorry, if that's it!

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lucy

Yes.

R
    That's what I'm trying to find out. Which trees are easy and which are hard. You gave me a good start with the 3 you mentioed.
    'Chamecyparis ,and Juniper Procumbens nana
    are easy. others, like some of the pines'
    any other suggestios.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will try it on a newly purchased Austrian pine 'Oregon green' in the spring on a branch I'm going to cut off anyway.
    If there is anything I should know about air layering this pine let me know.
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Paul

• raiun42
    17 years ago

Paul
    The only Pine I've air layered was the native Sand Pine .Early summer, quick and easy.
    The Chamecyparis Thyoides(?) ( Eastern White Cedar )and it's cultivars seem to air layer very easy , great radial roots, cuttings easy also. Warning ;if they dry, they die.no second chance.
    Junipers, Foemina ( needle juniper ) , Rigida , Procumbens nana , Shimpaku(?), all air layer , and cuttings are easy.
    I have failed to airlayer Robusta Green Juniper.
    Someone please tell me how.
    Hope this helps
    R

• quarrymaster
    15 years ago

All pines and junipers (most woody plants can be propagated by air (above ground)or layering (covered surface ), as I grew up my grandfather did this to supplement his retirement income (he also propagated cactus and succulents)to sell to local grocery/drug stores. I have done MANY different plants ,with many successes ....ALL take time so be patient. Grandpa always started air layering during the late WINTER (Jan/Feb) , would cut the bands in stem or trunk/branch and cover an 6 to 8in area with spagnum and compost or other rooting medium , he would cover with hormone dust or jelly , then wrap with plastic (used plastic from soil amendment bags...recycled before it became popular..was depression era raised), he always added crushed charcol....the bag wrap would end up 4 to 6in around and 6 to 8in long....he would check each weekend and inject an oz or 2 of a liquid fertilizer (VERY dilute with some hormones added ((rootonone)) using a hypodermic needle (I still have some , you can purchase at a farm store), most would be ready to pot up in June , some would take til Sept/Oct , so he'd pot up for sale the following spring. Most of my failures on layering was too much fertilizer added , that's why I warn , VERY Dilute. He lived in Oakland Calif , mild winters , so he started early....if you live back east , then you might start a month before last frost....I'm starting now in Missouri....instead of $10.00 ea for a 6in potted , I can do 20 or so air layered blue rug and other junipers for same price as one from Wally World or a garden center....guess it that depression era upbringing....plus it's fun to experiment , I also trade with neighbors.....Rick

• quarrymaster
    15 years ago

Reread above and forgot to mention , layering works exceptionally good for any procumbent (horizontal/creeping), like blue rug juniper. I usually strip about a 8 to 10in long piece of branch no larger than a pencil in diameter (larger takes longer to send out roots), leaving another 6 to 8in of tip end with 3 or 4 small branches (this will end up as your plant when you cut off from parent plant when sufficient roots develop ), you might have 3 or 4 new branches growing at time off cutting off , add hormones and wrap some spagnum moss and then wrap cloth loosely (old gunny sacks work good or any loose weave cloth), then cover with soil , 4 to 6in , and then stake both sides of branch so wind etc does not move branch from under soil, check every now and then to make sure all is covered and moisture is OK.
    .....Rick

• paul_44
    15 years ago

Yes, but use the moss soaked in miracle grow water and soil all blended. wet the section,coat with rooting harmone powder. Wrap blended moss around section and secure with kite string. I then use a section of black trash bag that light can show through and wrap over the moss. I then tie with a bag tie wire above and below this section. leave the top of the bag loose enough that water can seep down the trunk into the ball. when i water, i mist a spray of water down into the ball until it seeps out the bottom of the ball. This takes time, at least 6 months. this method works well with wild trees that are exposed to weather and elements.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio