Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentiger87

bonsai potential? - Crape Myrtle rescue

greentiger87
11 years ago

So I "rescued" this crape myrtle from a family friend's yard. I had actually tried to just hack it to the ground several times, but it kept coming back. I could never figure out why it was always chlorotic...no insects, no fireblight. Turns out it was buried almost a foot underneath the soil.

I finally dug it out, severing the roots that were holding it in the ground. The root flare is just below the surface of the soil here. The old soil line is just the rough, stumpy looking portion where the shoots originate. I hit it with some chelated iron/micronutrients (foliar) and it's in a well-drained composted pine bark and perlite mix and a 20 gallon terra-cotta pot for recovery. There's still plenty of time for it to establish roots before any real cold weather arrives.

Any "bonsai" potential here? I'm totally new to true bonsai, but not to container gardening. Frankly, I'm not that interested in what I *think* are two key aspects of traditional bonsai - leaf miniaturization and very small, flat pots. Leaf miniaturization is great if it happens on its own, but it's not a major goal. Everything else is fair game. I'd rather have a healthy, profusely flowering mini-tree than a particular classical style.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County