Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike423

Brazillian Rain Tree Problem

mike423
13 years ago

Hey, I have a tree problem and need some help. I have a Brazilian rain tree that's starting to look unhealthy. Its beginning to get grouped spots where the foliage is beginning to turn yellow and fall off. I haven't even had the tree for a year yet so I'm not aware of it normal seasonal patterns etc.. yet. I'm not sure of this is part of its normal yearly cycle but it doesn't seem right and was wondering if anyone with more experience with these tress could help?

Some of my ideas might be that it could be stemming from it being to close to the window, time of year (not enough light), under watering, or a problem I've been having with Gnats lately (possibly sucking on the tree???). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

Comments (5)

• larke
    13 years ago

Well what are you doing with it light-wise, humidity-wise, water-wise, etc. etc. Without knowing, it's hard to advise. What kind of soil is it in? If you're getting gnats, you may be keeping too wet, in the wrong soil, spraying it instead of using a humidity tray or not giving it enough air circulation. ???

• mike423
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Light wise its sitting in a East window so it gets light in the morning from sunrise to about 10-11 AM. I don't have a humidity tray that fits it right now since its a bigger tree in a big pot, but I usually mist it every time I water (every 2-3 days). The Gnats are not coming from this plant they are coming from two Crape Myrtles in the same room. I'm probbaly going to fix that though since I will be placing them elsewhere.

I just purchased this tree in August so I'm not sure what sort of mix its in. it seems like there is a normal bonsai soil composure twords the surface (more like a top dressing) with more organic in the bottom half. I'm not exactly sure as I was planning on placing in in my own mixture but was waiting to get anew pot (and planning on getting a humidity tray this weekend), but know I'm not sure if it would be wise at the moment since the plants already stressed.

As far as Air circulation I'm not sure how to accomplish that seeing as its getting substantially cold out and I usually accomplished this by opening the windows in the room.

• mike423
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also forgot to mention that none of the leaves close on the tree at night (only the newest growth). They droop but that's it. I have another Brazilian Rain Tree and its leaves all close and reopen every night. This has been the case ever since I purchased the tree (in Aug.) and initially thought that maybe it as due to the possibility it was re-potted right before I purchased it but I guess not, as its still the same every night.

• mike423
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Think I found the problem. I decided to do an emergency repotting the other day since I had a notion it might be root bound since it had never been repotted by myself since purchase in August. It wasn't root bound but I found that the soil in the bottom half of the pot was completely different from the top soil which was mostly inorganic (Top dressing). Since the soil on the bottom was mostly dirt I think the problem stemmed from over watering. I kept the majority of the root ball intact and repotted it with a mostly inorganic mix mixing in a slight amount of the old soil to balance thing out(which I wouldn't normally do). This next summer or the year after I will probably repot again, bare rooting it and removing all the actual soil placing it in a more fast draining inorganic mixture.

• larke
    13 years ago

I don't know where you live, but crape myrtles should be outside for life.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions