Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bens2bens

Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pics

bens2bens
10 years ago

Hi,

there is often the discussion if you can use Jade trees for bonsai. In my opinion they are suited quite well ... especially for african style bonsai like peernef or baobab style. However, when googeling for crassula+bonsai you only find very few good examples ... most of the pictures are from still relativ small speciments with a bad leaf-size to trunk-size ratio.
In this thread i ask you to show pics of your jade bonsai, just to get ideas what you can do with this species and it cultivars.
To start, here some pics of my largest jade trees, not yet in typical bonsai pots ...

"Hummels Sunset"
{{gwi:19302}}

normal green Jade
{{gwi:19307}}

"Skinny Fingers"
{{gwi:19311}}

C.arboreescens Silver Dollar ... due to its big leaf size this cultivar is not perfectly suited for bonsai, however just want to give it a try. Maybe if the plant is very big one day i will work.
{{gwi:19315}}

The best Crassula ovata cultivar for bonsai seems to be the small leaf variant "Crosby's Compact".
{{gwi:19319}}

... finally a project that i started five years ago with a small cutting of crosby's compact. The goal is to produce a strait main stem of around 60 cm with an umbrella shaped top. To get the strait stem with no bigger wounds i cutted away all developing new site branches just when they started to develope, only allowing the main branch to grow. Additionaly to get very short internodes, which later should give an interesting branch structure, i never fertilized the plant and grew it under quite hard conditions with lots of light and little water. I know that it will take very, very long to get a nice plant, but if you compare the internodes to the skinny fingers that was started in a dutch greenhouse and was very fast growing in its first years, i think it might be worth and one day could produce an outstanding bonsai. Right now the stem is about 45 cm ... so maybe two more years until I will allow the developement of the treetop ;)

{{gwi:19320}}

{{gwi:19323}}

Looking forward to see pics of your jade tree bonsais

Best regards,
Ben

Comments (72)

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

littlekirstenjr
    Not a problem
    Happy it helped

As long as you can go without removing the cup / LOL
    They seem to be cool in about 5 - 6 months
    But the longer the better I guess

Best Of Luck

My Braided Red Tipped Approx. 4 to 5 years old From small cuttings Pic 1
  • dethcheez
    9 years ago

Pic 2

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

Pic 3

Just going to keep braiding the top branches as they grow
    Not sure what I'm going to do with the two draped ones???

I'll post some of my Fallen C. Arborescens a little later on PEACH...
  • dethcheez
    9 years ago

Fallen Silver Dollar...

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

And Now For #2

• moochinka
    9 years ago

As long as you realize that braiding is considered to be quite tacky in bonsai... not a bonsai at all, but a cute way to sell plants in supermarkets...

• littlekirstenjr
    9 years ago

Oh please, he's having fun with his jades and trying different things. I think it's pretty cool. I can't wait to see how they all look once they start getting bigger. I need to get myself a small jade and start working on the root over rock idea. I have some pretty chunks of glass that I think would work well.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Knock yourself out, just don't call it a bonsai (this is a bonsai forum).

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

Please Forgive Me
    For I Have Sinned Against The Bonsai Gods

My Braided Jade Is Blasphemy
    An Abomination

I Shall Paint a Large Scarlet "F B" On My Chest
    For "Fraudulent Bonsaier"
    And
    Hang My Head In Shame

Ummmm
    Don't Think So

\*\*\*Attention\*\*\* If you have posted a photographic image of a plant in this thread And Said plant does not strictly comply with the 'Rules' of Bonsai listed in the link below You May NOT Call It a Bonsai And Must Remove It Immediately Or You May Offend "moochinka" 'Cause This Is a "Bonsai Forum" D@mmit And Yours Is Not a Bonsai Because the trunk doesn't flare to the apex & doesn't taper as it ascends + the branches cross & the don't caliper properly to the proportion to the trunk Etc. & So On Blah Blah Blah "Can't We Just All Grow Along" ??? PEACE... Here is a link that might be useful: [The Rules of Bonsai by Brent Walston](https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm)
  • dethcheez
    9 years ago

PS~ Sorry Forgot To Apologize For Being "Tacky"
    I Hope My Blatant Tackiness Did Not Offend Anyone
    If It Did I Sincerely Apologize

The next thing I know Someone's going to the me that "Zombies" are "Tacky" What a World What a World
  • moochinka
    9 years ago

Get a grip! Sheesh! And don't quote BW please - he knows more about bonsai than you and I put together ever ever ever will.

This post was edited by moochinka on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 10:51

• littlekirstenjr
    9 years ago

This just became my most favorite thread on GardenWeb/the internet.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Relax, folks ;-)
    Everyone knows that regular Jade leaves are too big for bonsai, hahaha. A joke of course. I often say that my Jades aren't true bonsai but that they're grown in bonsai fashion (potted small, kept small), or that they're grown with a bonsai aesthetic in mind.

Josh

9 years ago

Good morning from the west coast!
    Here's my largest 'Hobbit' mother and daughter bonsai...beside a 'Crosby's Compact' that I hard pruned a while back.

Josh

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

Gollum in its new ceramic pot
    3 - 4 years old
    From small cutting

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

Top view

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

***WARNING***
    It's About To Get "Tacky" Up In Here
    LOL

My first attempt at inter-twinning different plants

The Gollum in the center is 2 - 3 years old
    Planning on twisting the middle branches & cascading the left & right branches

The P. Afra & Red Tip (small "Y" tip cutting) were more recently added

I guess for right now I'll let the P. Afra drape down between the Gollum & Red Tip
    And
    See where the Red Tip takes it as it grows
    ???

One Way Or The Other
    It Should Be Interesting looking In a Few Years

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

And Now For Even More Unadulterated Tackiness

~Twisted Red Tip~

This ones around 4 years old
    Was started from a leaf pulling sprout

I brake off any & all new off shoots that form
    I like the look of the bare branches with leaves just on the tip

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

I have around 30 some to 40 Bonsai
    (NOT one of which was store bought / All are form cutting or seed)
    Probably half of which are Jade
    So I can do this all day / LOL

But Would Love To See More Pics Of Other Peoples Projects

• KrysJ
    9 years ago

Hello all!

Just stumbled across this forum. I am starting to propagate a baby jade plant I bought a couple months ago that I would like to "bonsai" (meaning a tacky, non-traditional "bonsai"). There are some great pictures here, and hopefully I can contribute some in the near future.

9 years ago

Welcome, Krys.

Deth, I have lots of little Jade projects....plenty of pics to come. These two cuttings are grown in pure, screened Turface, and bloomed last Winter for the first time.

Josh

9 years ago

The Jade on the left has bloomed every year since I received it as a cutting from a GardenWeb member in Oregon (taken from his motherplant). It has pinkish blooms that are very nice.

The Jade on the right is a 'Crosby's Compact' that I rescued. I pruned it a year or two ago, but I haven't consistency pinched it, so it isn't looking its best. It has a smooth trunk that I like...

Josh

9 years ago

Here's a shot of the Jade that I've had the longest...my mother Jade, grown from the first cutting I ever propagated. I nearly froze it to death, but it survived.

Josh

9 years ago

...The other side of one of the Jade tables.

Josh

• littlekirstenjr
    9 years ago

Josh,

I love that you have a table all to your jades. As it should be! After I pruned my variegated jade, I thought I was going to have all sorts of cuttings that would eventually root. But NONE of them made it and I'm bummed about it. The cutting were placed on top of dry soil and they all either dried out completely and shriveled up or they rotted even though I added absolutely no water. Something tells me that because my variegation is so intense, with a lot of my leaves on the cuttings being entirely white, that they weren't strong enough to root. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Still, the most intensely variegated were the ones to go first. I researched all about rooting jades and still can't believe ZERO of mine made it. Not even single leaves. I wonder what I did wrong....

:(

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

littlekirstenjr

Was that the one in the pic above
    It would be cool if you could get one of the branches that's almost solid yellow to root

Just tossing this out there & wish I remembered all the technical terms & what not

But wonder if you having problems with them rooting has anything to do with the color

Not enough color for photosynthesis & the plant can't sustain itself type of thing???

Just a Thought

9 years ago

Hello!
    Variegated Jades (the 'Tricolor' especially) are difficult to root. Few have success with them...and the greater the variegation, the less likely they are to root. It does, indeed, have to do with the lack of chlorophyll for photosynthesis.

Here are a few more that are hanging out on this bench:

9 years ago

...and here's an update on my C. arborescens 'Silver Dollar' - one of my favorites. So stout. Not a great picture....I'll have to take a few more until I catch the proper angle to show this one off.

Josh

• littlekirstenjr
    9 years ago

Ok COOL. I thought I was a failed gardener/jade appreciator. I've had other succulents accidentally root for me, and yet, the only one I truly wanted to root was my variegated jade haha.

Dethcheez,
    Yup, that's the jade! Some of the branches I was trying to root were entirely or nearly entirely white and like I said, they were the first ones to go. It's like they all had a mass jade suicide. The mother plant is doing great though. Sprouting new leaves here and there.

9 years ago

Here's another favorite -
    Crassula ovata var. obliqua.....the green form.

• KrysJ
    9 years ago

Littlekirstenjr,

I've had best luck propagating my jade by doing stem cuttings and putting them directly in water. I keep the cuttings inside under a light. It takes quite a few weeks, but strong white roots should appear. Make sure you change the water often and I test my water (I have acidic water with lots of chlorine, so I adjust my pH to be more neutral and let the water sit out for at least 24 hours). I have not attempted to propagate from leaf cuttings.

What was odd during propagating was that some of the leaves were wrinkled as if they weren't getting any water, but were sitting in water. Once I planted them they filled out.

• harman75
    9 years ago

These are all amazing!

• David Glyn
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wonder if any owners of the previous pictures would be willing and able to post updates on their jade bonsai projects. Great thread, great trees, great imagination! bens2bens, how's your experiment with the tall skinny jade with umbrella top?

ez

8 years ago

Certainly, David.

But it might take a few days before I have a chance to take pics.

Josh

• Amynoacids (z6 MI)
    8 years ago

I would love to see current pics of all of these!

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Thanks, Josh! That Silver Dollar looks to be a great one! I haven't sen Dethcheez posting this year, hope he's still out there. What imagination!

ez

• supertinyviolet
    8 years ago

Wow! I absolutely love all of the pictures on this thread!! What fascinating plants :)

I'm new to the world of bonsai trees, but I really want one! I just have no idea where to get them from. Where did you guys get yours from? A breeder? A Home Depot / Lowes??

8 years ago

A few updates...

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Josh, that silver dollar has gotten taller. Are they slower to branch?

008a9a, you can get them sometimes at the big box stores, generally the larger plants are found at a nursery. In both cases the soil will probably be more water-retentive than is needed. You will either need to get used to watering quite infrequently or study up on better draining soils in the 'cacti and succulent' forum.

ez

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@Gman

So, you've been at these particular trees about two years now?

• supertinyviolet
    8 years ago

Thank you, breathnez!! I'll keep an eye out for them next time I go out :)

8 years ago

Laticauda, probably closer to 5 years on some of these.
    I've kept them quite small by confining them in small containers and inorganic mixes.

Josh

8 years ago

Ben, this is a small-leaf / compact Jade that I decided to shape into a Ben style bonsai :-)

There is a significant scar from where I pruned it, but I will just make that the 'back' side for presentation. I am pinching the branch tips regularly to really focus the canopy.

Josh

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Nice Josh, this will be an interesting project to follow over the next years.

ez

• halocline
    8 years ago

I'm sorry, can someone please direct me to the Bonsai forum? I think I accidentally clicked on the moochinka knows best channel. AGAIN.

Rob

• Ian Deighton
    8 years ago

Hi Ben..

I live in a 3rd story apartment in London Over the past few years I have been growing some Crassula to provide partial window screening.. My original plan was to have them shaped something like African savannah trees. It has sort of worked..

Although not strictly savannah like, this one has turn out best I think..

One problem I have is the older leaves tend to fold down, which is not bad, but not so savannah like. I would prefer if they were more horizontal. Any advice on that?

Great page by the way, there are many useful tips here..

Ian

8 years ago

Hello, Ian! Nice "trees" :-) The reason the leaves are downfolded is simply due to lower light levels. But, for lower light specimens, they don't look half bad.

Josh

• Ian Deighton
    8 years ago

Thanks bro

• Laurenda Breda
    8 years ago

This is my gorgeous Jade bonsai :) thank u for all the advice on how to fatten up the stem and pinching off the new growth. It's extremely helpful :)

• Laurenda Breda
    8 years ago

waiting patiently for the canopy to close nicely with this Crassula tetragona.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths