Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pics

Posted by benst (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 12:32

Hi,

there is often the discussion if you can use Jade trees for bonsai. In my opinion they are suited quite well ... especially for african style bonsai like peernef or baobab style. However, when googeling for crassula+bonsai you only find very few good examples ... most of the pictures are from still relativ small speciments with a bad leaf-size to trunk-size ratio.
In this thread i ask you to show pics of your jade bonsai, just to get ideas what you can do with this species and it cultivars.
To start, here some pics of my largest jade trees, not yet in typical bonsai pots ...

"Hummels Sunset"
IMG_4773

normal green Jade
IMG_4774

"Skinny Fingers"
IMG_4776

C.arboreescens Silver Dollar ... due to its big leaf size this cultivar is not perfectly suited for bonsai, however just want to give it a try. Maybe if the plant is very big one day i will work.
IMG_4781

The best Crassula ovata cultivar for bonsai seems to be the small leaf variant "Crosby's Compact".
IMG_4940

... finally a project that i started five years ago with a small cutting of crosby's compact. The goal is to produce a strait main stem of around 60 cm with an umbrella shaped top. To get the strait stem with no bigger wounds i cutted away all developing new site branches just when they started to develope, only allowing the main branch to grow. Additionaly to get very short internodes, which later should give an interesting branch structure, i never fertilized the plant and grew it under quite hard conditions with lots of light and little water. I know that it will take very, very long to get a nice plant, but if you compare the internodes to the skinny fingers that was started in a dutch greenhouse and was very fast growing in its first years, i think it might be worth and one day could produce an outstanding bonsai. Right now the stem is about 45 cm ... so maybe two more years until I will allow the developement of the treetop ;)

IMG_4927

IMG_4928

Looking forward to see pics of your jade tree bonsais

Best regards,
Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pics

Cheers, Ben!

I fully agree that these succulents make excellent candidates for bonsai...but, as you note, certain varieties lend themselves better to bonsai presentation. Your Crassula are brilliant!

I was so eager to get some pics to add to this Thread that I was rather sloppy with my camera work. But I hope these give an idea of my various plants in progress...not even close to being "finished."

Let's start with the largest leafed and least likely to have good proportions when small, Crassula arborescens "Silver Dollar Jade."

o

And a shot of the same plant in the hand....

o

A very poor picture of Crassula ovata 'Gollum.'

o

And a very poor picture of Crassula ovata 'Skinny Fingers.'

o

Hi Josh,
thanks for the pictures. I especially like your "Skinny Fingers" ... it already has a very nice shape.

It is always interesting how the same cultivar could look under different conditions. Whereas your Skinny Fingers has more shorter tubes, mine developes very long and thin tubes ... although it is grown in full sun.

However maybe there are also other reasons for, like the high mutability of this group of cultivars ...

There exist a nice overview article about the Tolkien-group of jade trees where they note ... "This chameleon seems to change its form readily and the mutated branches can be easily propagated to produce a new cultivar." (Crassulacea No. 2 - Jan. 2013 - Crassula ovata Tolkien Group)

You can find the article here:
http://www.cactuspro.com/biblio/fr:bhl

regards,
Ben

o

Thank you, Ben, for the nice comments and the article address! Also, thanks for advising me on my oblique leafed Jade...had you not, I might have continued to remove those variegated leaves!

When I purchased my 'Skinny Fingers' Jade, it did have longer leaves...but I've grown it hard, and the leaves have shortened. This is the same with my other 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit' Jade sports. If I re-pot them, I think they will grow more lush. That said, these are indeed very mutable sports, and a variety of leaf-forms appear on each from time to time.

Josh

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 11:11

I have a couple of Jades that I'm working on. This is the best looking one at the moment.
 photo 002_zps7510f710.jpg

Ben, Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a big Jade fan, and I enjoy looking at others pictures.

Rob

o

Hey, Rob, sorry I didn't come back to this Thread sooner.
The Finger Jades ('Gollum' and 'Skinny Fingers') make the best "instant" bonsai, in my opinion. Great plants.

Josh

o

All these are great! I am new to bonsai and taking care of plants in general but i picked up a few jade plants for cheap over the past year and have been perusing the internet to see the possibilities. I will post pictures this week of what I have so far and maybe you lovely folks can give me some tips on how to best achieve a more presentable bonsai.

-Brian

o

Sure thing, Brian!

Josh

o

I'm happy to contribute to this thread. I love bonsais and I love jades even more. Just whacked mine and finally got it into a bonsai pot. I'd love to see if I could expose some of the roots in the future. While the leaves are a bit large and mess with the proportions, I think it kinda works :)

Variegated Crassula argentea/ovata

o

Jade's fun to play with for Bonsai

I'll post more later
Need to take some updated ones anyways

I've got a few cool twisted and knotted ones

~Zombie Trees~
The two bigger ones in the back or both 6+ years old
Were started from small tip cuttings
2in pot

The smaller one in front is around 4 1/2 years old
Was started from a leaf pulling sprout
Hard to see in the pic but it has a bone embedded in the trunk
It was planted in the center of the bone & I moved it up as the plant grow & got thinker & now the trunk is starting to grow over the bone

Here is a link that might be useful: My Cascading P. Afra

o

This is a newer one...

o

This is so lovely. Would you mind telling us how you got your jade to begin growing on a rock ? Did you slowly start revealing more and more of the roots?

o

Hey

Thanx...

I've tried rooting cutting in a pot
Washing all the soil off the roots
Then draping the roots over a rock
But never had the best of luck doing that

Best way I've found so far is
Root a cutting in a small pot / Only like about 1/3 full of soil
Unpot it when it's well rooted but don't wash the soil off & place the whole thing over a rock
Make sure to use a rock that goes all the way to the bottom of the pot
Then put like a pot with the bottom cut off or a foam cup around it & fill it with soil ~ Will keep the soil from washing away

Now the hard part
Waiting for the cutting to form nice thick fat roots ~ The thinner ones will dry up & die in the sun

Hope That Helps

o

And when you take the cup or pot off it'll look like this
With time the soil & smaller dead roots will wash away
Helping it out with the hose will speed things up / LOL

I would say the main thing is just to give it time to form some really nice strong roots & anchor its self good before removing the cup

I put a cup back around the one in the pic
Want to give it a little longer 'cause I have a bigger Brug. & it looks cool but it's not exactly anchored to/over the rock very well
It's still healthy & all
But don't think it'll make it in the long run

o

Hey guys all of your Jade trees are beautiful. I actually got one about 3 Months ago so that I can make into a bonsai. I have a little problem it's growing but the trunk and branches are still green and soft they're about 5-6 inches tall should I wait a little more time or is something wrong? Someone please let me know!

o

Bon, you can pinch the new growth to shorten the plant and get it bushy.

Josh

o

Hey Josh,
This is one of the three I have it looks pretty young but I just wanted to know how long until the branches/ trunk start turning brown. I did pinch out the biggest of the leaves which were about 2 and 1/2 inches long. I hope the picture helps so that you can help me. I don't know if you can tell but the first inch of the trunk is already brown

o

It's normal for the stems to be green, especially when it's a youngin' like yours! The "woody" part will slowly creep up the plant as it ages and grows, but it takes some time. I'm not sure what you can do to speed up that process. Perhaps putting it in more light may help, but I'm really just guessing. Time is really the only answer.

o

Dethcheez,

That's awesome. Thanks so much for you mini tutorial. I now most definitely want to try your process. How long do you let the roots form over the rock while in the cup before removing it?

o

Bon,
as the others mentioned, lignification (the process of becoming lignified or woody) merely takes time. Lots of sunlight, fertilizer, and water will help the trunk expand rapidly, and as it expands the fissures and cracks and flakes will form, which will hasten the woody texture. New growth will always be tender and green.

Bon, I would recommend that you pinch again:

o

littlekirstenjr
Not a problem
Happy it helped

As long as you can go without removing the cup / LOL
They seem to be cool in about 5 - 6 months
But the longer the better I guess

Best Of Luck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Braided Red Tipped

Approx. 4 to 5 years old
From small cuttings

Pic 1

o

Pic 2

o

Pic 3

Just going to keep braiding the top branches as they grow
Not sure what I'm going to do with the two draped ones???

~~~~~

I'll post some of my Fallen C. Arborescens a little later on

PEACH...

o

Fallen Silver Dollar...

o

And Now For #2

o

As long as you realize that braiding is considered to be quite tacky in bonsai... not a bonsai at all, but a cute way to sell plants in supermarkets...

o

Oh please, he's having fun with his jades and trying different things. I think it's pretty cool. I can't wait to see how they all look once they start getting bigger. I need to get myself a small jade and start working on the root over rock idea. I have some pretty chunks of glass that I think would work well.

o

Knock yourself out, just don't call it a bonsai (this is a bonsai forum).

o

Please Forgive Me
For I Have Sinned Against The Bonsai Gods

My Braided Jade Is Blasphemy
An Abomination

I Shall Paint a Large Scarlet "F B" On My Chest
For "Fraudulent Bonsaier"
And
Hang My Head In Shame

Ummmm
Don't Think So

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***Attention***

If you have posted a photographic image of a plant in this thread
And
Said plant does not strictly comply with the 'Rules' of Bonsai listed in the link below
You May NOT Call It a Bonsai
And
Must Remove It Immediately
Or
You May Offend "moochinka"

'Cause This Is a "Bonsai Forum" D@mmit
And
Yours Is Not a Bonsai
Because the trunk doesn't flare to the apex & doesn't taper as it ascends + the branches cross & the don't caliper properly to the proportion to the trunk
Etc. & So On Blah Blah Blah

"Can't We Just All Grow Along"
???

PEACE...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rules of Bonsai by Brent Walston

o

PS~ Sorry Forgot To Apologize For Being "Tacky"
I Hope My Blatant Tackiness Did Not Offend Anyone
If It Did I Sincerely Apologize

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next thing I know
Someone's going to the me that
"Zombies" are "Tacky"

What a World
What a World

o
RE: Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pi

Get a grip! Sheesh! And don't quote BW please - he knows more about bonsai than you and I put together ever ever ever will.

This post was edited by moochinka on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 10:51

o

This just became my most favorite thread on GardenWeb/the internet.

o

Relax, folks ;-)
Everyone knows that regular Jade leaves are too big for bonsai, hahaha. A joke of course. I often say that my Jades aren't true bonsai but that they're grown in bonsai fashion (potted small, kept small), or that they're grown with a bonsai aesthetic in mind.

Josh

o

Good morning from the west coast!
Here's my largest 'Hobbit' mother and daughter bonsai...beside a 'Crosby's Compact' that I hard pruned a while back.

Josh

o

Gollum in its new ceramic pot
3 - 4 years old
From small cutting

o

Top view

o

***WARNING***
It's About To Get "Tacky" Up In Here
LOL

My first attempt at inter-twinning different plants

The Gollum in the center is 2 - 3 years old
Planning on twisting the middle branches & cascading the left & right branches

The P. Afra & Red Tip (small "Y" tip cutting) were more recently added

I guess for right now I'll let the P. Afra drape down between the Gollum & Red Tip
And
See where the Red Tip takes it as it grows
???

One Way Or The Other
It Should Be Interesting looking In a Few Years

o

And Now For Even More Unadulterated Tackiness

~Twisted Red Tip~

This ones around 4 years old
Was started from a leaf pulling sprout

I brake off any & all new off shoots that form
I like the look of the bare branches with leaves just on the tip

o

I have around 30 some to 40 Bonsai
(NOT one of which was store bought / All are form cutting or seed)
Probably half of which are Jade
So I can do this all day / LOL

But Would Love To See More Pics Of Other Peoples Projects

o
Hello

Hello all!

Just stumbled across this forum. I am starting to propagate a baby jade plant I bought a couple months ago that I would like to "bonsai" (meaning a tacky, non-traditional "bonsai"). There are some great pictures here, and hopefully I can contribute some in the near future.

o

Welcome, Krys.

Deth, I have lots of little Jade projects....plenty of pics to come. These two cuttings are grown in pure, screened Turface, and bloomed last Winter for the first time.

Josh

o

The Jade on the left has bloomed every year since I received it as a cutting from a GardenWeb member in Oregon (taken from his motherplant). It has pinkish blooms that are very nice.

The Jade on the right is a 'Crosby's Compact' that I rescued. I pruned it a year or two ago, but I haven't consistency pinched it, so it isn't looking its best. It has a smooth trunk that I like...

Josh

o

Here's a shot of the Jade that I've had the longest...my mother Jade, grown from the first cutting I ever propagated. I nearly froze it to death, but it survived.

Josh

o

...The other side of one of the Jade tables.

Josh

o

Josh,

I love that you have a table all to your jades. As it should be! After I pruned my variegated jade, I thought I was going to have all sorts of cuttings that would eventually root. But NONE of them made it and I'm bummed about it. The cutting were placed on top of dry soil and they all either dried out completely and shriveled up or they rotted even though I added absolutely no water. Something tells me that because my variegation is so intense, with a lot of my leaves on the cuttings being entirely white, that they weren't strong enough to root. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Still, the most intensely variegated were the ones to go first. I researched all about rooting jades and still can't believe ZERO of mine made it. Not even single leaves. I wonder what I did wrong....

:(

o

littlekirstenjr

Was that the one in the pic above
It would be cool if you could get one of the branches that's almost solid yellow to root

Just tossing this out there & wish I remembered all the technical terms & what not

But wonder if you having problems with them rooting has anything to do with the color

Not enough color for photosynthesis & the plant can't sustain itself type of thing???

Just a Thought

o

Hello!
Variegated Jades (the 'Tricolor' especially) are difficult to root. Few have success with them...and the greater the variegation, the less likely they are to root. It does, indeed, have to do with the lack of chlorophyll for photosynthesis.

Here are a few more that are hanging out on this bench:

o

...and here's an update on my C. arborescens 'Silver Dollar' - one of my favorites. So stout. Not a great picture....I'll have to take a few more until I catch the proper angle to show this one off.

Josh

o

Ok COOL. I thought I was a failed gardener/jade appreciator. I've had other succulents accidentally root for me, and yet, the only one I truly wanted to root was my variegated jade haha.

Dethcheez,
Yup, that's the jade! Some of the branches I was trying to root were entirely or nearly entirely white and like I said, they were the first ones to go. It's like they all had a mass jade suicide. The mother plant is doing great though. Sprouting new leaves here and there.

o

Here's another favorite -
Crassula ovata var. obliqua.....the green form.

o

Littlekirstenjr,

I've had best luck propagating my jade by doing stem cuttings and putting them directly in water. I keep the cuttings inside under a light. It takes quite a few weeks, but strong white roots should appear. Make sure you change the water often and I test my water (I have acidic water with lots of chlorine, so I adjust my pH to be more neutral and let the water sit out for at least 24 hours). I have not attempted to propagate from leaf cuttings.

What was odd during propagating was that some of the leaves were wrinkled as if they weren't getting any water, but were sitting in water. Once I planted them they filled out.

o

These are all amazing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here