Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pics

Posted by benst (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 12:32

Hi,

there is often the discussion if you can use Jade trees for bonsai. In my opinion they are suited quite well ... especially for african style bonsai like peernef or baobab style. However, when googeling for crassula+bonsai you only find very few good examples ... most of the pictures are from still relativ small speciments with a bad leaf-size to trunk-size ratio.
In this thread i ask you to show pics of your jade bonsai, just to get ideas what you can do with this species and it cultivars.
To start, here some pics of my largest jade trees, not yet in typical bonsai pots ...

"Hummels Sunset"
IMG_4773

normal green Jade
IMG_4774

"Skinny Fingers"
IMG_4776

C.arboreescens Silver Dollar ... due to its big leaf size this cultivar is not perfectly suited for bonsai, however just want to give it a try. Maybe if the plant is very big one day i will work.
IMG_4781

The best Crassula ovata cultivar for bonsai seems to be the small leaf variant "Crosby's Compact".
IMG_4940

... finally a project that i started five years ago with a small cutting of crosby's compact. The goal is to produce a strait main stem of around 60 cm with an umbrella shaped top. To get the strait stem with no bigger wounds i cutted away all developing new site branches just when they started to develope, only allowing the main branch to grow. Additionaly to get very short internodes, which later should give an interesting branch structure, i never fertilized the plant and grew it under quite hard conditions with lots of light and little water. I know that it will take very, very long to get a nice plant, but if you compare the internodes to the skinny fingers that was started in a dutch greenhouse and was very fast growing in its first years, i think it might be worth and one day could produce an outstanding bonsai. Right now the stem is about 45 cm ... so maybe two more years until I will allow the developement of the treetop ;)

IMG_4927

IMG_4928

Looking forward to see pics of your jade tree bonsais

Best regards,
Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade tree (Crassula ovata & arborescens) as bonsai ... pics

Cheers, Ben!

I fully agree that these succulents make excellent candidates for bonsai...but, as you note, certain varieties lend themselves better to bonsai presentation. Your Crassula are brilliant!

I was so eager to get some pics to add to this Thread that I was rather sloppy with my camera work. But I hope these give an idea of my various plants in progress...not even close to being "finished."

Let's start with the largest leafed and least likely to have good proportions when small, Crassula arborescens "Silver Dollar Jade."

o

And a shot of the same plant in the hand....

o

A very poor picture of Crassula ovata 'Gollum.'

o

And a very poor picture of Crassula ovata 'Skinny Fingers.'

o

Hi Josh,
thanks for the pictures. I especially like your "Skinny Fingers" ... it already has a very nice shape.

It is always interesting how the same cultivar could look under different conditions. Whereas your Skinny Fingers has more shorter tubes, mine developes very long and thin tubes ... although it is grown in full sun.

However maybe there are also other reasons for, like the high mutability of this group of cultivars ...

There exist a nice overview article about the Tolkien-group of jade trees where they note ... "This chameleon seems to change its form readily and the mutated branches can be easily propagated to produce a new cultivar." (Crassulacea No. 2 - Jan. 2013 - Crassula ovata Tolkien Group)

You can find the article here:
http://www.cactuspro.com/biblio/fr:bhl

regards,
Ben

o

Thank you, Ben, for the nice comments and the article address! Also, thanks for advising me on my oblique leafed Jade...had you not, I might have continued to remove those variegated leaves!

When I purchased my 'Skinny Fingers' Jade, it did have longer leaves...but I've grown it hard, and the leaves have shortened. This is the same with my other 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit' Jade sports. If I re-pot them, I think they will grow more lush. That said, these are indeed very mutable sports, and a variety of leaf-forms appear on each from time to time.

Josh

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 11:11

I have a couple of Jades that I'm working on. This is the best looking one at the moment.
 photo 002_zps7510f710.jpg

Ben, Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a big Jade fan, and I enjoy looking at others pictures.

Rob

o

Hey, Rob, sorry I didn't come back to this Thread sooner.
The Finger Jades ('Gollum' and 'Skinny Fingers') make the best "instant" bonsai, in my opinion. Great plants.

Josh

o

All these are great! I am new to bonsai and taking care of plants in general but i picked up a few jade plants for cheap over the past year and have been perusing the internet to see the possibilities. I will post pictures this week of what I have so far and maybe you lovely folks can give me some tips on how to best achieve a more presentable bonsai.

-Brian

o

Sure thing, Brian!

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here