Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thams_gw

Japanese Maple Stump -- Hmmmmmm...

thams
11 years ago

Hi All,

I was poking around a nursery yesterday and stumbled upon a 4 foot Emperor Japanese Maple that was apparently damaged by a front loader. It had a pretty severe crack running through the trunk.

It was originally $175, but I purchased it for next to nothing since no one was going to pick it up as is. I got home and whacked it down to about 6 inches. I wasn't even going to try to keep it inside since that would be a quick death for the tree.

So... I know it's not the best time to transplant the tree, but I went across the road and planted the tree in a tree line on some city property. I know I know, it's not my land but it's for a good cause (I live in an apartment and have NO outdoor space). Question is: how likely is the tree to survive such a transplant at this time? There are no 100% definitive answers here, but I've heard of people TRYING to kill these trees without success.

Also, IF it survives and starts sprouting branches, how many seasons should I wait to start pruning. My plan is for it to grow happily in the ground and get strong before putting it back into a training container for transition into a bonsai. I just felt so bad for the guy at the nursery and I wanted to give it a chance. It has 2.5" trunk diameter, with good root spread of about 6" total. Great for potential bonsai!

Comment (1)

Sponsored