Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_2007

Dormancy of a seedling

bonsai-2007
16 years ago

Hi,

Over the summer I had a few Apple seeds that I germinated and then planted into containers. I started growing them in the house and then they only lasted a little while and then die on me. I tuck the rest and put them out side and it worked now I have one that looks good. Recently I got a grow light and put the tree under it.

The tree is not that old only a few months, should it still go into dormant season or can it wait till next year? I heard from different places that if the roots freeze then it's all over for the plant. How cold does it have to be in order for the apples tree to be dormant? Would it be cool enough by a window in an the basement or something like that, and in the dormant stage does it need a source of light like natural or a grow light? I live in New York on Long Island where it easily drops and stays below 32 for the most part in the winter.

I hope to turn this tree into a bonsai.

Thinks, Matt

Comment (1)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Your tree really should be living outdoors, Matt.

The tree is not that old only a few months, should it still go into dormant season or can it wait till next year?

It should have a cold rest period and it should be outdoors adjusting to changing day length & getting the secondary push toward dormancy that cooler temperatures bring.

I heard from different places that if the roots freeze then it's all over for the plant.

This is not necessarily so. A simplification: Container soils can freeze solid with no ill effects on on temperate plants unless the temperature continues to fall. As temperatures fall, the water in tissues between plant cells can even freeze without killing the plant. It's when the water bound within cells freezes that plant tissues die. The temperature at which this occurs varies by plant and is affected by various cultural conditions, but I would strive to keep actual root temperatures above 20* F. on your apple.

How cold does it have to be in order for the apples tree to be dormant?

The primary trigger for dormancy is increasing periods of dark, with chill secondary and helping to deepen dormancy. The tree will go dormant of it's own accord with cooler temperatures and decreasing photoperiod. Chill is actually required to release the tree from it's rest after it goes dormant. Once the tree has had an adequate period of cold rest, the tree passes unnoticed from true dormancy to a state of quiescence (quiet rest). Chill time/hours required to release the tree from dormancy accumulate between the temperatures of 32 - about 45*. The tree will strongly resist growing while truly dormant, but will quickly begin growing once temperatures rise above about 45* for a few days.

Would it be cool enough by a window in an the basement or something like that, and in the dormant stage does it need a source of light like natural or a grow light?

It probably would not be ok by a window indoors, but might do well in a window well outdoors, if you can keep it from drying out & keep rodents away. It would probably be best to bury the whole container in the garden/flower bed, or even better - against a north wall of a building out of sun and wind. Over-wintering in an unheated garage or out-building works well, too.

Al

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?