Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorcrap

live oak in a northern zone

castorcrap
18 years ago

Hello, Does anyone know what to do w/ a live oak species in a zone where it cannot perform its natural evergreen characteristic. Im thinking of letting frost will kill off the leaves then putting the pot in my garage for the winter, keeping it a little damp. Is this bad for a tree who normally is evergreen? will it bud back? If I was able to put it in a green house, would that be bad, because maybee it needs to go through a cold spell cycle?

Comments (109)

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

Probably 2005. During bad cold snaps (well below freezing), the tips of the branches due dieback. I don’t see any of that this year. The birds love the thick canopy!

• poaky1
    3 years ago

I do envy you with that nice Live oak HU, is THAT the Virginiana or TXLO? MY QMLO and TXLO are BOTH pushing out leaves now, later.

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

Virginiana...”Southern Live Oak.” It is really coming in full this spring!

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Hey HU, so you have a Southern Live oak and THAT is the pic you posted of that "sorta" biggish LO? WOW. Sorry, I have been drinking a bit of booze, BUT, so, is that SLO planted in YOUR yard in zone 6a? IF SO, you are NOT zone 6a. I had tried one, a decent sized one many years back that I bought in Florida, (so, NOT very hardy) and it died, BUT, the roots REALLY went wild into my soil, spreading like gangbusters, so sad. I'm THINKING that the tree is NOT growing in YOUR current yard though.

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

Trying some South Carolina Spanish Moss in my Live Oak in Maryland. I have done this in the past. Last time, it made it through the summer but during the fall and early winter the birds took it all. Interesting enough, there are records of Spanish moss in southern Maryland in the colonial times but right now the most northern area is Virginia Beach.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Hey HU, That was a great idea with the Spanish moss. I bet that IF you have a slightly bright room in your place in zone 6a (I'm GUESSING that is where you stay in the winter months) and you can spray some VERY diluted liquid plant food on it every now and then, you can keep that Spanish moss going into winter and replant it in that Maryland tree. It lives in mostly all shade successfully, I do know that some will live in lottsa sun, BUT, you can maybe get away with lottsa shade in winter too. It gets it;s nutrients through the air and rain, right? SO, MAYBE you can figure out what type of nutrients that would give off, I THINK that rain may contain VERY slight amounts of nitrogen, other than that who knows. I would try some spring water from a jug, you can find in Wal_Mart, BUT, maybe that will NOT do anything for it, I'm guessing. I have actually thought about spreading some craft Spanish moss into my QMLO branches just for looks, BUT, that would perhaps be stupid since THAT stuff is NEVER going to look like living Spanish Moss, they spray that stuff to kill bugs and dry it out etc. Your tree is surely looking like it is quite big now. IF you haven't already posted a pic showing the whole tree on the other Live oak tree thread, can you post one here? I am still answering emails, so, I don't know IF you've posted a pic of it yet on the OTHER Live oak thread, later HU :)

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

Poakey1, I only check-in here every so often. What is the other thread? I have only participated on this thread. By the way, my Live Oak has acorns this year!!! I can never recall seeing them before. This year the tree is loaded with them - little things.

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

By the way, you can buy live Spanish Moss on Amazon: Live Spanish Moss, 2.8lbs Fresh Moss from Florida, Product of USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFQGLTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V54dFb4AZV02V
    Here is a pic of my tree from 2020

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

I’m in 7A but not far from 7B. With all this global warming, they will need to shift these zones.

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

Another angle. The birds love this tree!! It is has several Mourning dove nests. Listening to one now! The canopy is so thick. I know SLO require a lot of pruning and I just can’t keep up with it LOL

• poaky1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Wow, okay Hu, there must be 2 Hu's on Live oak threads here on GW. There are more than 1 GW Live oak threads. I have 1 Hu's address and name, so, the Hu that I was thinking you were was a Hu from Missouri zone 6a. So, YOU must be another Hu. Sorry for the mixup.

I THINK the Hu from MIssouri has a Texas Live oak OR a Quartz mountain Live oak like I have, well, I have both a TXLO and a Quartz mountain Live oak. YOU have a Q. Virginiana ONLY, right?

I had assumed you were the same guy and had 2 home locations, 1 in Missouri and 1 here in zone 7a-7b. I forget the exact title of the other Live oak thread, BUT, it likely has " Quartz mountian Live oak" in the title. Okay, later and congrats on getting acorns on your L.O. tree. I could never grow a Q. Virginiana here in Sw Pa, unless I had it as a Bonsai in my greenhouse in winter. I also have a seedling QMLO that I grew from acorns from another GW er on that other Live oak thread. Later.

• garygronfors
    3 years ago

Hi, I'm the guy who started the original thread on Live Oaks. Never thought it would start so much thought on the subject. So the original Ontario, Canada Live Oak died back to the ground after I left it out into below freezing weather. Again it was in a pot that was brought indoors during the winter. The good news is it grew back! and is now on a condo balcony in Toronto ... my son has it. I'll try to post a picture later.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Well, it does seem to show that "Castorcrap" had actually started this thread NOT you, but, anyway, I have ONLY had success with Live oaks in MY zone 6a hardiness zone with 1 Texas Live oak or Quercus Fusiformis and 1 "Quartz Mountain LIve oak" OR a Quercus Fusiformis "Quartz mountain". Now, The ONLY way that I can have success with growing these Live oaks is to protect them all UNTIL they get mature enough for their limbs to be thick enough to stand my zone 6a winters BUT last winter we had a zone 7a or 7b winter here, so, I did have great growth on my Texas Live oak, and it does seem to be great growth so far this year, I just HOPE that the next winter will NOT be a harsh one. My Quartz mountain Live oak has put out about 8 inches of new growth so far now this year. BUT, with all of the days that are 90F and MORE now in my area, I just can't help but think that BOTH of my LIVE OAKS that are planted in the ground will SURELY grow VERY well IF we have heat PLUS a bunch of rain here. BUT, so far we are still "waiting for the rain". I also have a "Baby" Quartz mountain LIve oak tree. I grew it from an acorn that was sent to me by somebody that is in Missouri or Oklahoma. That person had sent me about 8-10 acorns BUT I had only been able to bring 1 acorn to the point of having a nice seedling tree that had come from an acorn. I now am kinda "making sure that seedling stays happy". It has only about 5 leaves now.

• brandon brooks
    3 years ago

This live oak may be the Maryland State champion.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Brandon, Your pic hasn't posted, I assume you tried to post a pic here. If you have a pic try posting it again:)

• brandon brooks
    3 years ago

@poaky1 Thank you, however, I was referencing the tree posted by @HU-457123172

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Okay, I am glad that I am not the only person to mention that there are 2 "HU's". I mentioned it one time and heard NO response from anybody, and I figured, "maybe I am wrong?"

Yeah, it seems that 1 HU has a Q. Virginia and is in zone 7 (at least) and then another HU has a TXLO or maybe a QMLO in zone 6a or 6b.

I see that I have the address of the zone 7a or 7b HU and he is in Missourri. I am GUESSING that Missourri is zone 7 a or b. The other Hu I am not sure where they are.

Okay, later guys.

• David Brown
    3 years ago

I am curious how are everyone live oaks after this winter's freezes from hell. Here in my zone 8a garden in north Mississippi we hit a record smashing 3 degrees. All of my live oaks, regardless of providence all leaves are Brown.

• Gary Gronfors
    3 years ago

I started this whole discussions about Live Oaks. I just moved from Toronto, Ontario a region where my son who still has the Oak indoors now cannot stand our winters. I moved to Victoria BC where I could now plant a Live Oak outdoors for the whole season. We even have the most hardy palms growing all year as a few parts of this huge Island is actually 9A to 9B zones. Amazing. If anyone wants to send me a few acorns that would be great. G. Gronfors 2390 Azurite Cr. Victoria, B.C. V9B 0Z6.

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

I am one of the Hu’s LOL. Actual name is Frank 😁 I live between DC and Annapolis MD. We escaped that ridiculous cold that hit Texas, thankfully. My tree did lose some big limbs this winter though due to ice and my poor pruning habits. It will survive though. The Spanish Moss I added last summer even made it through the winter. We’ll see if the birds snag it all up for nests this spring. Spanish Moss was native to Southern Maryland swamps a very long time ago. We are also preparing for 17 year cicadas! They like to lay eggs at the end of oak branches.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Hey there guys. Well, I had started another Live oak thread (a decent while ago) about growing live oaks where they aren't usually found growing. Dave Brown, so, you being in Mississipi have the usual Quercus Virginiana Live oak? Now, that is the Live oak that I would PREFER to grow since it grows fast-ish and really HUGE, so, I will assume that YOUR LO will just drop them brown leaves and be fine growing nice new green ones soon. 3 F ABOVE 0 is still a zone 7a, and LO's should bounce back as long as it does NOT happen over and over or year after year.

MY Live oaks are the hardier and more slow growing Quercus Fusiformis, it will also grow to be a bit shorter and a bit LESS wide. STILL impressive though. But, I will never live to see it get to it';s potential, I am glad that I can actually grow ANY Live oak tree here in my Pa zone 6a yard. I CURRENTLY have 2 Live oaks (Q Fusiformis) planted in the ground on my property, and 1 BABY one I grew from an acorn that is just about 3 inches tall. I keep it potted in my greenhouse. In MY zone, I have to wait until the trees are old enough to have a trunk thickness of at LEAST 1/2 to 3/4 inch BEFORE they will retain the top growth (if planted outside) enough to be hardy here.

And, the Quartz mountain Live oak, is even hardier than plain old "Quercus Fusiformis" or "Texas live oak". They are BOTH Q. Fusiformis, BUT, the Quartz mountain Live oak IS just hardier, the branches are thicker and the the tree is just TOUGHER, it grows in the "Quartz mountains" of Oklahoma. The ONLY nursery that I have seen that sells it is "Alligator alley" nursery online, I THINK they are based in Oklahoma.

As for the plain old "Texas live oak" I bought mine from the "Oaks of the wild west" online nursery. They have (or used to have) at least a couple of locations mostly out west in Texas and Arizona. And it had kept on dying back to the roots for at LEAST 3-4 years before FINALLY it has kept that upper growth for the past 2 winters, and it seems as if it will FINALLY be growing into a damn tree. It has survived a -1F this winter and last winter was a very mild winter a zone 7b winter, so, I was NOT shocked that it had done great the winter of 2019. But, the trees trunk had to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inches before it had finally kept it's growth and been hardy, so, had it been because it was a milder winter, or because the tree had finally gotten a trunk of a decent thickness? I have NO idea, maybe a bit of BOTH ? Zone 7 seems to be fine for Live oaks if the Live oaks at Virginian Beach are considered, I went to Va beach a few years ago, and they do have some nice LO's nearby and in Williamsburgh, Va they have several of them, along with the hybrid Comptons oak, which I have several Comptons oaks on my property, they are a Quercus Virginiana X Q. Lyrata hybrid oak and they will get huge and as far as how they grow, SOME will look more like the Live oak than others. Look up "Champion Comptons oak in Williamsburg, Va" and you will see the HUGE Comptons oak that is part Live oak and part Overcup oak, that is a zone 5a hardy tree, BUT, it is decidious, but, it will keep it's leaves later than most deciduous oaks UNLESS it gets REALLY cold early.

Wow, Gary, you can grow palms there that I can't without a ,lot of protection and a heat source UNDER that protection. I have 2 potted palms in my greenhouse, both are Trachy's that are hardy to zone 7, I am zone 6a though. They MAY get a bit hardier with age and size, BUT, mine will always need covered and some heat added, UNLESS we get a really mild winter.

And so now, HU, the other HU lives in Missourri, so, you can see how or why I had gotten confused. And, you BOTH are growing Live oaks in areas of the US that MOST People would

possibly be shocked to see a Live oak growing. So, YOU are between DC and Maryland?

That is a lot closer to the sea than where I am so maybe YOU are at LEAST a zone 6B if NOT 7a?

I have a friend who lives in Maryland, she used to live here in Pa when she was a kid.

She isn't really into trees or I would talk to HER about Live oaks, anyhow, so, it was a LIVE OAK that you had that lost some limbs from ice and snow? We have some big Eastern white pines that REALLY suffer from heavy snow and ice here, BUT, my Live oaks have yet to show any problems from it.

Well, my Quartz mountain Live oak has such strong branches (plus it is small yet) that heavy wet snow will NOT affect it. BUT, the regular Quercus Fusiformis that I have has much WEAKER branches, it is still small though.

I can only assume that you guys have NOT heard of the Quartz mountain Live oak trees. They are considered to be "Quercus Fusiformis" Live oak, BUT, when you see THEM compared to the USUAL Quercus Fusiformis, the QMLO have much thicker branches and bigger buds.

At least that is what I have observed looking at my 2 trees here, 1 is the QMLO and 1 is the regular Texas Live oak, and BOTH are Q. Fusiformis.

The QMLO does seem to grow only about 1 foot a year, BUT, mine had seemed to grow at least 15 inches last spring/summer though. It could be because with added growth you have more leaves making more energy for more growth, and I had even pruned off a bit of the branches to keep balanced growth as far as branch structure.

Anyway, as for the TXLO from Arizona's "Oaks of the wild west", it currently has 2 separate trunks, so I want to pick 1 of em to keep. I kept both because if 1 had died, I still had 1 that was alive. Sorry this has been so long. Okay, later guys.

• HU-457123172
    3 years ago

Great info Poaky1! I need to save that as a reference. If I pruned my live oak properly, I probably would not have lost any branches. The tree is fine though. I quickly cleaned it up and minimized any damage. I live in Bowie MD, halfway between DC and Annapolis. I have some acorns from that famous Williamsburg Compton Oak. I have been overwintering them and I am hoping a few sprout this spring!

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Thanks HU, I tried to get acorns from that Comptons oak but those I collected had not sunk in a bucket of water, so, they had been damaged by insects and the squirrels had eaten most of them. Anyway, I already have several Compton's oaks I bought from "Mossy oak natives" nursery.

I looked on their website lately, and they are out of stock for all of their trees but 1, and that one was a small growing oak.

I have a friend who lives in "Ocean springs" Maryland. Or at least I THINK it's "Ocean springs".

Maybe It's "clear springs" I am not sure. Ok anyway, later.

• David Brown
    3 years ago

Oh yeah I've got all this info on quercus fusiformis, and the hardier variety of this tree, the quartz mountain variety. I have 5 live oaks. One is a reg from South Carolina. Another reg from Louisiana. Then other 3 are from Texas. I found these from an Ebay seller in north Texas that were selling as live oak seedlings. Here's the thing though. They were growing on a limestone quarry. As far as I know, this is fusiformis territory. 1 of these grew larger like your standard live oak, and one is smaller. I'm thinking they are hybrid fusiformis/virginiana. I also have a small sand live oak from the mississippi coast line. It is a very slow grower. But I digress. I checked out weather out and the low temps we had last month. Seems we hit 7 degrees, not 3. Sorry about that, it was still a record low for the month of February. Tallahatchie county Mississippi is zone 8, but straddles 7b in the north hills of the county. I'm perfectly straddling these two zones. If anyone knows if any quartz mountains are available let me know! I wonder if Alligator Alley is restocked with them.

• David Brown
    3 years ago

Oh btw, I want a Compton Oak sooo bad! If anyone knows where to get one let me know. I have a Lousiana Sabal minor in my yard that I planted 8 years ago. At 2 years old my dad accidentally mowed it to the ground. Now it's almost 7 feet tall. And dropping seeds. 3 miles from my house are reg sabal minor, but I found one growing under a bridge that is 7 feet tall! Probably been there forever though.

• Gary Gronfors
    3 years ago

9B here in Victoria B.C. Canada!!!!!! I need some acorns!!

• Gary Gronfors
    3 years ago

Seriously Zone 9!

• poaky1
    3 years ago

David Brown, you can tell a QV from a QMLO and a TXLO usually by the size of the leaves. QV much bigger (on decent sized specimens) about 2 1/2 inches maybe 3 inches but I am not sure. The QMLO and TXLO leaves tend to be smaller. As for Compton oaks, IF I get any acorns on mine I will try to remember you wanted some. Mine SHOULD be making acorns by now from what the Mossy oak natives nursery said about the Comptons oaks. I have 1 or 2 that are 11 years old now, and NO acorns yet.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Gary G, wow Canada and zone 9? I see your map, but, I can't see just how that can be possible. I know the ocean does wonders for making a place warmer, or not as cold in winter. I do believe you, but, it just seems like it could NOT be that way. The UK is way up north, but they are zone 7 at the coldest up in Scotland, and they are surrounded by water too. They have mostly zone 8 and 9 down more Southernly though. Gary, do you guys plant out any hardy palms?

As for acorns, you had not specified which kinds of acorns, unless I missed it and you asked a while ago.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Gary, IF you meant Live oak acorns, I do wonder IF you get enough sun intensity to grow a Live oak, and have it grow decently. I am up in Pa, and mine only grows a foot a year or a foot and a half for the QMLO and the TXLO MAY grow a bit more, but, it is still very small, so, I am not sure about it yet.

• Gary Gronfors
    3 years ago

Here's a few palms in Langford B.C. near Victoria I took pictures of last week. Downtown has 25' specimens.

• poaky1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Okay, those palms (Likely Trachy's) do seem to have some stress that caused some yellowing of the bottom of the fronds, BUT, so do MINE and they have been in the GH in pots since last fall.

And, my gh does NOT go under 30F in winter.

So, I wonder what causes that. The top growth is nice and green though. Anyway, did you want to get acorns from a Live oak or a Compton's?

As I said to David Brown above, MY Compton's SHOULD have acorns coming on it by now, BUT, not a 1 damn acorn yet and it's been 10-11 years on my oldest 1. The trees are all healthy and growing quite well, BUT, they SHOULD be having acorns by now.

And, as for the "Mossy oak natives nursery" being "out of stock" of every tree they used to sell BUT a dwarf oak I have NO idea about, I do NOT know why, or when they will be back in business selling trees.

I can only GUESS that MAYBE some "natural disaster" COULD be the cause, BUT, I do NOT know anything more than YOU, I guess.

They've been in business for YEARS, and now nothing, so, something happened.

Again, IF I get acorns on mine, I have at least 5 of em, I will send you some, just YOU remember to ask me, because I will NOT remember myself, so late summer or early fall, send me a reply IF you want to ask me if I have any acorns for the Compton's oak, OR IF you happen to go to Williamsburg, Va, they have that Champion Compton's oak, BUT, the squirrels LOVE that tree too, so, be early enough to beat the little buggers!

• poaky1
    3 years ago

BTW, The Mossy oaks native nursery is in Mississippi, IF I recall correctly, so, it is possible that they've had a weather related problem, BUT, I have NO idea, maybe even a Covid related issue, so, don't lose hope that they will NOT open again.

I do know how it is when you want a certain plant, especially a tree that you just want to get planted so it can begin growing and gaining size for you. I guess we have to wait now that they are not currently doing online business. I just want another Southern Mag, but, they stopped selling them about 6-7 years ago. Nothing we can do but wait.

But, seriously, remind me next late summer, and I'll check my trees.

• plantking 165
    2 years ago

alright I live in central Florida we have live oaks everywhere here but I was curious about growing some red oaks here but I don't know if they will grow here or if they need some freezes to go dormant bc we don't get very cold here in winter but I want to try and grow shummard oak and scarlet oak trees in central Florida any advice??

• Gary Gronfors
    2 years ago

Those Oaks might not like the super hot temperatures. Who knows? Try a few small ones in part shade with good air flow.

• plantking 165
    2 years ago

I ordered some seeds for the scarlet oak if I can get it to tolerate the heat the only concern I have is how much hold they need if they need any because we don't get many cold days below 50 during the day time

• poaky1
    2 years ago

I just looked up the "hardiness zones" for BOTH Scarlet and Shumard oaks and BOTH are up to hardiness zone 9, so, I am thinking that in Florida, UNLESS you are in the Keys, you would be at the HIGHEST zone 9, so, you WOULD be in the highest zone that you CAN grow a Scarlet or Shumard oak tree fine. I am going to GUESS that you MAY be a zone 8b though in CENTRAL Florida (?)

As for the Scarlet oak tree, IT must be okay IF it is up to zone 9, BUT, I do KNOW for SURE that Shumard is grown down south, way into Texas, I have read before that Shumard oaks are grown SOUTH into Texas, up to zone 9 at the highest.

However I am in zone 6a and growing the HARDIEST Live oaks that are out there, and YOU can so EASILY grow the Southern Live oak, you lucky duck.

The hardy to MY zone ones grow slower than the one YOU can grow, BTW.

Good luck though:)

• plantking 165
    2 years ago

yes I am in zone 9b Florida I got scarlet oak seeds for now I started to stratify 4 seeds I figured I'll just start a few to see how they do they all sunk in the water test so viability seems good. no need to grow live oaks here lol they are literally everywhere you look we don't have any red oaks here unfortunately and I really like the color they put out in fall so I figure I'll give them a try and see what they do

• poaky1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

BTW, a Northern Red oak is zone 3-8, so, that one would NOT be good for Florida UNLESS you had been North Florida. You likely know that though.

I have a Shumard myself and they are good in well drained and NOT so well drained soils.

Nuttalls oak is also zone 9a at the hottest BUT, I have seen the Nuttals oak as being the same as the Shumard oak on 1 website, BUT, most websites do NOT list them as being the same tree.

Willow oak is also up to hardiness zone 9 , and it is frequently grown in the South, BUT, maybe it needs moist soil, or at least NOT dry soil.

There are many OTHER "Red oak family" oaks I could mention like "Water oak' and a deciduous oak that has leaves that are "kinda like" the Live oak, only they are bigger or wider, BUT, the tree is very short lived. I can NOT think of it now:( BUT, you do NOT wanna grow it anyway, by the time it gets big, it is declining anyway. Okay, so Good luck:)

• poaky1
    2 years ago

I do wonder how much fall color would a scarlet oak show in Florida? Maybe it will be good, BUT, I had been thinking that a chill in the air in fall/late summer is what makes the fall color better, BUT, I am not sure:)

I had planted a Scarlet oak myself years ago, BUT, it has been continuously chewed down to nothing by either deer or some "critter" here, and as a result has never gotten above about 3 1/2 to 4 feet in height. I am thinking deer because they also have been keeping my row of Yew shrubs, that are near the Scarlet oak, down to pitiful little "nothings" for lack of a better word to describe them.

Good luck with your oaks :)

• plantking 165
    2 years ago

thanks I wonder how it's color will be aswell not sure if it needs cold weather to survive each year much less to put on the color for fall because we still the upper 90s In fall some days maybe even 100 degrees. I hope the photoperoid change is enough for them to go dormant and change color.

• Gary Gronfors
    2 years ago

My colour guess is Brown.

• poaky1
    2 years ago

Florida will most likely NOT give you very good fall color from what you have said about the temps being in the 90's to 100 F even in fall.

• plantking 165
    2 years ago

probably not but our Florida Maples closer to December turn a red and yellow with orange its not the most colorful but it does turn color

• poaky1
    2 years ago

BUT, that is a Florida maple, so, it will most likely give you some decent fall color. Now, maybe a "Tupelo tree" MAY give you good fall color, BUT, I do NOT know that for sure. It is Nysa Sylvatica and is zones 4-9 as far as the "Hardiness zones". It will get a very bright RED color in fall wherever it will get good fall color.

• plantking 165
    2 years ago

I'll have to do some digging I do know Florida isn't really a place for fall color but it won't stop me from trying lol

• lizbethsdad
    2 years ago

I got 2 live oaks from the Mossyoak Nursery in MS this past winter. I planted them, but then the super cold weather hit us here in west Kentucky (Single digits near zero). Most leaves turned brown, but new leaves are now growing!!!

• Gary Gronfors
    2 years ago

That's good. Here in Victoria, B.C. we have the only Garry Oaks in the world here. ?

Just planted my Palm.

• lizbethsdad
    2 years ago

Hope they all grow well this year.

• Yudi Antara
    2 years ago

How to bend a bonsai https://shrinke.me/xArOL

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm