Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miahhaim

Red Maple Seedling

miahhaim
16 years ago

I have a Red maple that I am trying to raise for Bonsai, it is one year old and stands about 20in. tall. I was curious, is it possible to cut down the main stalk to shorten the height of the tree without killing it. If so, at what stage of growth/age would this be safe to try, and what time of year?

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

It's common to repeatedly "chop" trunks to both reduce height & build taper into the trunk. You don't say where you live (important info, btw) but your tree is utilizing it's leaves now to store energy to help keep it's systems orderly during dormancy and for it's spring flush of growth, so do not hamper the tree's efforts by pruning now. Wait until late winter, or early spring before buds move to make your chop.

When to do it developmentally depends on what you have envisioned for the tree. Some might wait several years if the tree is in a container or if a large specimen is envisioned and the tree is in the ground. If you're thinking that you'd like a smaller tree, a couple of years in the ground or 3-4 in a pot may be all you can stand (in the patience dept.). That decision is up to you and the tree.

Al

• miahhaim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the response Tapla. I live in missouri, which is very humid and hot in the summer and fairly cold in the winter.

I was wanting to give the tree a broom look. And I read that trunk chopping was the best means of doing this. If this is beyond your expertise I completely understand. Once again thank you for your time.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Lol - well alllrighty then. You didn't say anything about a broom style tree and I couldn't guess your intent.

Yes, a chop at about 2/3 the height you expect the tree to finish at is a preferred method of creating a broom. There really is no guideline as to what age the tree should be when you chop it, but it should have been growing with very good vitality in the previous growth cycle as it went into dormancy. Also, the younger the tree the higher the % of dynamic mass - thus, younger trees do much better after a chop. Here though is where your vision of how you want the tree to look comes into play. Young trees have very little taper built into them and the broom style dictates as near a perfectly straight trunk as possible - which pretty much eliminates multiple chops. You don't want a "soccer ball on top of a drinking straw" look, so you'll need to consider if a chop is appropriate based on the intended height of the tree and current trunk caliper.

As noted previous, late winter or early spring before bud movement is the best time to undertake the chop.

Did you understand that a little better?

Al

• miahhaim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, thank you so much. I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now. I have visited so many forums, but yet noone could answer my questions. Thanks alot! I will definitly be back to talk to you again in the future. If that is alright with you of course. Thanks again.
    -Jeremiah

• davidrw
    16 years ago

Jeremiah

Please reference the following article by Brent Walston.

'For example, if you desire a three inch trunk, it makes little sense to make the first trunk cut until the stem has reached an inch and a half.'

David

Here is a link that might be useful: evergreengardenworks

Sponsored