Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andoeire

Dying Bonsai, dont know what to do

andoeire
11 years ago

hi, I received this Bonsai as a gift (See picture attached). It had lovely small green leaves when I received it, the instructions were not great to be honest. Feed with minimul plant food, never let soil be dry, water once a week in a sink, let the soil/plant soak up some water for a few mins and then take it out. The pot has a hole at the bottom to let excess water out. Sorry if I sound amatuer, but thats what I am! Never owned a plant before but I would like to try get this bonsai back to life if possible. I'm not even sure what type of bonsai it is as it wasnt on the packaging... Any help appreciated

Comments (6)

• hookilau
    11 years ago

I could swear I replied to this post earlier today, don't know where it's gone to, Oh well 0_o. Take II

Let me preface this post with the disclaimer that I am a beginner just like you, mk?

From the leaf, it looks like a Beech but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will chime in here. Providing the following information, you'll likely get the information you need from one of the more experienced people on here.

How long have you had this tree?
    Have you kept him indoors or out? If indoors, what is his lighting situation?
    What kind of medium is in the pot?
    What is your zone or climate?
    Does water run freely from the pot if watered from above?

I think that ought to do it.

Antoinette

• andoeire
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi there!

Hope this helps:

Ive had this tree about 6 months
    Its kept indoors and out of direct sunlight at all times (Said it on the box)
    I'm in north western europe, temperature varies but generally on average (this time of year) it is in the mid teens (12 degress celcius or 53 degrees farenheit) and getting cooler each day as winter sets in
    If I water the plant, there is a little hole at the bottom where the excess usually drips through but generally the soil is always soggy (to me it looks too wet but I'm unsure as this is the first bonsai i've ever had). It is the same pot/soil that came with the plant..

• andoeire
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a picture of the box and instructions

• hookilau
    11 years ago

Mk, good stuff. Barring knowing what kind of deciduous tree this is, the following will likely help. Hopefully someone more experienced will pipe up. It looks to me (after googling some) to be European Hornbeam (Carpinus Betulus).Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carpinus.html

Google care for this & I'm sure you'll get the information you require to keep it in good health.

My interpretation of the care instructions (which I admit is sparse) is that when it says keep out of direct sun, it means shade if outside & bright room if inside. You'll have to do your best to interpret care information specific to this tree found on the internet. Generally, tropicals summer outside & winter inside, while deciduous trees are summered outside & then kept in a sheltered spot outside in the winter.

First order of business is to confirm the ID of this tree, google it's culture and make changes accordingly 0_-

Antoinette

Here is a link that might be useful: first time using Al's gritty mix

• paradisefound
    11 years ago

Consider also Chinese elm.

• moochinka
    11 years ago

Hi, whether your tree is a beech or an elm, it should have been outdoors all along and certainly now before it gets any colder... so it can acclimate to the cold. And it should be watered only by rain, not in a sink and not so much (it looks sodden). It's losing leaves because it's autumn, so relax on that score.

Put it in the garden but dig a hole for the pot so it's flush with the soil line - and try not to pick a place where water will always run down on it... take the pot up in April and leave it outdoors for life, but spend the winter learning more about bonsai, outdoor ones, and elm and beech (not a lot of difference in care where you live). Good luck,.

Sponsored