Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Bonsai Ever

Posted by gardener365 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 18:47

Thought I'd show my work...

This is a mixed Acer seedling from cultivar palmatum 'Seiryu'.
I chose it though difficult to see because the root-system was woody above the soil line. Added moss from other potted containers; sand and a professional potting mix and a cedar pot that holds media at 3" tall x 10" across with the other measurement being a bit over 7" -- that I built... The roots were spread out over a mound in the container with an inch and a half or so of bottom fill, and the rootball is off-center and slightly mounded above the rest of the soil in the container.

Enjoy Please!!!

Dax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Bonsai Ever .

lively here! lol

Dax

o
RE: First Bonsai Ever

Ha! Hey, Dax!
Few Forums are as active as Conifers, unfortunately. If you want to see something really slow....try posting over in Moss, Ferns, & Cryptograms....

Anyhow, I like your growing box. I have a first year Japanese maple seedling that I need to move to a larger container. I'll put something similar together.

Many folks will advise you to plant the tree in-ground, then dig it up later when the trunk has fattened. I have Weeping willows, however, that I don't want to release in the yard....so I'm progressively sizing them up in containers. With enough room for the roots to grow, the pot shouldn't cramp the tree's growth too much.

Thanks for the images. I love images.

Josh

o

It looks like it has some good branching potential once it fills out a bit.
And I agree with greenman- you'll have better results with it in the ground for the first few years.

o

Thank you very much guys!

on the way to conifers forum!

Thanks again,

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here