Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwyld

Bonsai ID

blackwyld
16 years ago

Hello all. I am usually lurking in the Hoya forum and am new to bonsai.

I have recently acquired two lovely little bonsai plants.

One is labeled as a Ficus Microcarpa. I'll be back later asking questions as to what I should do with it but right now I am more interested in my other purchase.

I have no idea what it is.

It is labeled as just an indoor bonsai. With a "Bloom Rite" symbol on the tag. It is from the Nurserymen's Exchange, INC.

It is quite small and not really shaped all that much.

I will post links to pictures at the bottom of this message. You will have to copy and paste them because I have no idea how to post direct links properly ;)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Here are the links:

Full pic of the tree:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729206@N02/1572743128/

Two close up pics on the leaves:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729206@N02/1571854973/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729206@N02/1572743642/

Comments (8)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Looks like it could be a Ficus as well, but one called Nerifolia (or willow leafed fig). I think that's most likely, but it also resembles some other things.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

No - it's not even in the Moracea family (Ficus), it's prolly in the Myrtaceae family & is likely Eugenia myrtifolia. Do a search to confirm that's your plant, BW.

Al

• blackwyld
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow guys, thank you so much for your ideas.
    It does seem to be at Eugenia myrtifolia, possibly a ÂCompactaÂ. I have no experience with the Myrtaceae family so had no idea what it was. :)
    Commonly known as a Brush Cherry. It is an evergreen that can tolerate partial shade but gets red highlights on the leaves if given enough light.
    Is hardy to zone 10.
    Most sources said that it can tolerate a range of soils but will possibly prefer something more acidic and well-draining.
    It does not like to dry out. And can tolerate hard pruning.

Found a good article by William N. Valavanis on this plant.
    He found it a "forgiving and sturdy species for cultivating indoors in cold regions". So I have hope. Hahaha!!

My first step now is to get it out of the pot it is currently in (which will probably take a hammer) plant it in something a bit more comfortable with better soil, and focus on keeping it alive over the winter.
    Come spring I will start to worry about what I might want it to eventually become. It is just a baby (trunk is only 7mm thick) so it has a long way to go.
    Until then I have tons of time to start researching.

Slap me upside the head if any of this sounds wrong.
    I am here to learn and have fun :)

Right now, my questions are: How much larger of a pot should I put this tree in?
    And when may I think about wiring the trunk? I am thinking of waiting until spring; if the plant survives. Could it be done sooner? The trunk is already not as pliant as I would like.
    I am going to go research soil mixes.

Thank you Lucy and Al for your time and your ideas on what this plant was.
    They are greatly appreciated.
    Take care.
    BlackWyld

• lucy
    16 years ago

I've found they're more interested in having high humidity than frequent watering, but in the right soil mix, it's less of an issue. Without knowing how large the present pot is and the tree in relation to it, it's impossible to say whether a larger pot is needed.

• blackwyld
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tree is only 7 inches tall from base of soil to leaf-tip.
    The pot was just under 4 inches high and 2.5 inches wide.
    I don't know how else to describe the tree in relation to the pot without referring you to the first picture link again at the start of this thread.

I had to split the pot to get the tree out without damaging the roots, it was very root bound and the soil looked like miracle grow bag mix.

I planted it in a well draining mix in an good ol' fashioned clay pot that is 4.5 inches tall and 5 inches wide at the top. Is that a decent size for now?

I want the little guy to grow for a bit but I will discuss that in a new thread a little later.

The climate is quite dry up here and the winters are dark, very long, and very cold.
    Th newly potted brush cherry is currently in my room under lights along with my new Ficus Microcarpa, my hoyas, orchids, and my other less forgiving tropicals.
    (I may be asking questions about the ficus in the future as well)
    It is one of the warmer rooms of the house. And I have a humidifier going. Everything else is doing well under the conditions so hopefully it will be okay.

Here is a link to a photo of it in its new pot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729206@N02/1584393840/

BW

• lucy
    16 years ago

Sorry - I forgot you had a pix there. The pot it's in now would have been better lower and wider, to encourage lateral (vs deep) growth for its eventual bonsai pot. Too bad you didn't ask before doing it, but wait for spring to redo it now - even indoor plants can tell seasonal changes by lighting if nothing else and it's already been stressed by the one repot.

• blackwyld
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good. It was the only pot I had that wouldn't completely dwarf it.

Thank you for your help Lucy.

• gregm779
    16 years ago

I thought I would put a link up of a ficus nerifolia just to show the difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:19954}}