Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agreeablebenji

I need some desperate Help with my Bonsai

agreeablebenji
9 years ago

Hello there

Hope someone can help me with my Bonsai.

I have not had it long and am unsure on the type. It seem a bit like a honeysuckle but mine seem more branchy so i am not sure.

As you can see by the picture the leafs are very small kinda oval shape. They are going brown now and dry and falling off.

I have no idea what has happened to it?

I water it very small amounts, 20ml every other day or so as i was told to water it regular but small amounts. It has been outside for a week or so to try and get it to perk up. The soil is damp. The weather has been up and down here, probably on average of around 16 degrees Celsius about 60-70F

can anyone help me with the breed and what to do to help him along? I have just brought him in now and am going to try sitting him on the window seal in the hope that helps.

Thankyou!

Ben

Comments (4)

• agreeablebenji
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of him at a different angle

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Hi - I like its potential, but have a couple of things to throw out - I don't know who told you to water little bits often, but it's a mistake because the roots never get any water, or at least not enough, but the top parts stay soggy, which is not good for newer higher-up roots... so do water less often, but well (til it comes out the bottom a bit). Secondly, it's hard to say what it is because you have many plants/trees there that we don't have up here, so it could be a honeysuckle, but also who knows what, and you could bring it to a local nursery for help with an ID as without one, it'll be hard to do the right thing by it! As with any tree or plant that normally grows naturally outdoors in your climate (vs another very different one), you must leave it outdoors to experience all its requisite seasons properly - are you in e.g. N. Queensland where it's almost always very hot, or in the south, where it can get cold and wet?

Now what you have to do is choose individual branches to keep and to prune away - but as it's a deciduous (leafy) tree rather than an evergreen (pine, etc), prune in spring and not autumn, which of course is right now where you are (spring, I mean :-). Don't just hack away at things, but do it for reasons of style (to at least some extent in accordance with bonsai tradition (rules) until such time as you know so much about them that breaking the rules becomes a conscious thought out design decision that makes sense on its own... and that probably won't be for years I guess... which is why rules help, to understand why you cut this branch and not the other... blah blah! I'll leave it to you to research why (not just for artistic angles, but to encourage (or otherwise) new buds to grow where you want them. You need to have some idea in mind of what you want the future tree to look like (years from now) before just cutting branches off that you might want after all. But it's also important to consider those which grow directly opposite each other on the trunk (not necessarily desirable), or cross each other in X directions, etc... start reading up on all that and then cut only when you're very sure about it. Get back at some time (whenever) with new pix and Q's if you have any. But find out what it is before anything else, if only so you get a better handle on how often to water (or not, if it's living outdoors and nature is doing the job).

• moochinka
    9 years ago

D'ya ever feel there's no point in replying to some posts... the posters are so 'desperate' they don't ever come back for an answer. Why bother!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

This Forum is known for that, unfortunately....

Josh

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio