Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin0209

Bonsai Fruit Tree

kristin0209
18 years ago

I just purchased a bonsai fruit tree. The leaves have started to turn and fall off. It did have glued down rocks around the trunk which I removed to make sure I knew if the soil was wet or dry. The soil seems to be appropriate according to other articles I've read on this site about soil and bonsai trees. I have a plate of small stones in which my tree sits to keep the roots away from getting to wet but also to act a humidifier. I am keeping it in doors at my office, I have it sitting under a florecent light that I turn off when I'm not there. What am I doing wrong? Is this tree dying? What can I do to help it come back?

Comments (7)

• mrgreengenes
    18 years ago

It may be helpful to know the species of tree you have. There is alot of difference between decidious and tropical trees and the care that each species requires. Each tree is a unique living organism and prefers to live in a certain type of enviroment.

I should address the one obvious statement I see that deserves a question. Do you have this tree actually sitting in water. As your question does suggest "getting to wet". If it is sitting in water it will most assuredly die.

If you can find out the species of tree you have it will help us help you and for the mean time just make sure that roots do not dry out completely in between watering. It might sound funny but watering is actually a learned skill when caring for bonsai. You may also want to check out the FAQ's portion of this forum to get a little better general understanding of how to care for this bonsai.

If you cannot find out the species of tree from the place you purchased it if you post pictures in the photo gallery someone here can probably help figure it out. Good luck.-G

• kristin0209
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The tree looks like a miniture crabapple tree. (I have a photo I can upload. How do I do that?)
    The pot is sitting on a bed of small rocks to keep it from sitting in water. But I've read that it help act as a humidifier.
    I appreciate any help.

• mrgreengenes
    18 years ago

Boy now I've stepped in it. I'm not quite sure how to down load pics since it's been about a year or so since I have last posted. I believe when you go to the gallery page there are some promts at the bottom of the page that will have you browse the file from your computer. You may have to experiment or wait for another reply to help you through that a little better.

However I am wondering if you say it looks like a miniature crabapple because it has little red fruit or because you know it is the species Malus...

If you do have a Malus it is not meant to be kept inside. Air quality indoors is particularly harsh to plants and there is not adequate lighting usually. Also all decidious trees require a certain period of rest that they usually recieve during winter. If this has been kept outside until recently it may be preparing for winter and having it indoors may be disrupting the process. If this is a crabapple and it is losing it's leaves it is most likely dying a slow death indoors.

However if this say a Surinam cherry it may just be adjusting to changes to light and care it's now recieving.

I'm certain this can be narrowed down a bit more once we can be sure of the species. -G

• lucy
    18 years ago

There are instructions here how to download a picture to the Gallery directly under the green logo at the top of the bonsai forum page. See what you can do.

• kristin0209
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I hope it is the second species you mention because otherwise I'd hate to think I was slowly killing "anything". But I'll try to upload the two photo's I have and you can look at them...

Thanks!

• mapheoo
    17 years ago

dont most fruit trees have to lose there leaves during fall and winter in order to continue proper growth? even if it is a bonsai.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

How long have you had it?

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm