Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

Old Gold Juniper?

ryan_tree
13 years ago

Hey everyone,

Picked up this interesting little "Old Gold Juniper" from my local nursery today to try and start to actually style something. When I first saw this tree, I immediately saw a Cascade in it. The trunk leans heavily to one side, and there is also a very thick branch that can be seen in some of the pictures. I did, however, want to stay away from cascades, as cascade junipers just don't do much for me. Would there be any possibility I could make this a windswept as the trunk leans so heavily? I would show you how much it leans, but then again it is too bushy to see anything down there. I heavy prune in late winter, correct? Think I could prune a little out of the way now? And lastly, anyone have experience with this kind of Juniper. I have the exact name, but it doesn't say exactly what it is. Oh yeah, I paid a whopping $17 for it:

The branch to the far left that cascades down the pot is that big heavy branch I was talking about:

{{gwi:20397}}

A slight view of the trunk:

{{gwi:20398}}

Another shot of the tree:

{{gwi:20400}}

Anyone know what it is?

{{gwi:20401}}

Thanks,

Ryan

Comments (6)

• larke
    13 years ago

Juniperus 'aurea' means 'golden' juniper. The Latin name is always what counts. Anyhow, do heavy pruning on conifers when they're dormant, i.e. late fall/winter vs late winter/early spring (that's for deciduous trees). Why not just wait a month to be sure. The trunk seems a bit squat for windswept, but not undoable. If you don't like cascade, maybe don't buy Junipers :-)!

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Larke! Think late October (say around the 25th) would be a fine time to work on this tree? This is basically what is hidden in all that foliage:

{{gwi:20403}}

Branch 1 will be trained to become the apex, and branch 2 will be a semi-cascade.

• larke
    13 years ago

Great... but don't let the top part get too large, no more than 2/3 of the cascade because otherwise they'll be fighting each other for visual dominance and it won't look good. You could go for a cool pad or two on the top but a short 'trunk' for it.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I pruned this thing today. And all I can say is that it looks BAD. There was a slingshot hidden under there. Now it does not look too well:

{{gwi:20404}}
    {{gwi:20406}}
    {{gwi:20408}}

I thought about removing that whole branch to the left, then jinning it. But, the foliage grows toward the camera and not off to the sides. The yellow is what I want to jin, and the red is the actual tree:

{{gwi:20410}}

Ryan

• larke
    13 years ago

Hi - it's early a.m. here, but I'm not sure what the problem would be in jinning the longer trunk whether the foliage grows off to the sides or not, because the stump (jin) will be a stump in the end. However while the red trunk looks like it should be useful, its foliage will also grow all over the place and you'll have to keep it well trained and trimmed, not to mention having to work on the root system so the tree is more centered in the pot, if not even closer to the edge, rather than sitting back from it as it is now - which is not to say that it can't be done. Maybe a procumbens, with its 'tighter' foliage pattern might have been a better bet (and wouldn't necessarily cascade any more than this one anyhow). Just a tip - having bought a tree that turns out not to be a very good candidate for bonsai does not mean you have to drive yourself crazy trying to turn it into something to justify the purchase! You can have some fun trying, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out for you.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Larke! I meant the section that is in red is coming toward the camera, and it would take some seriously thick wire to bend it to go to the sides. I am just not a fan of that cascade branch. It has that long bare section which is just plain ugly. I'll jin the yellow and see what happens....

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH