Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
head_cutter

Pics of a new tree

head_cutter
14 years ago

{{gwi:20569}}

This was given to me by a friend, in a pot of dirt with the roots growing out the bottom. Figured I'd try to do something creative (?) with it. Was in a tub of water for about 3 months and didn't seem to mind--as a matter of fact started growing like a weed. Soooooo...

I had to really spread the roots to get them over the rock so it was only wired around it for a little while.

Don't know what species...

Bob

Comments (11)

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:20570}}

A lot of new roots down there.

BOB

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, Bob!
    Good to see you here!
    So is this the Fukien?

That root shot is rad.

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hiya Josh,
    No, I haven't figured out what kind of tree it is yet but it's very common here. Like I said, a friend gave it to me because he didn't know what to do with it and I just started looking at it and trying to figure out if I wanted to keep it and how to handle it.
    Had to cut most of the roots off to get it out of the little pot it was in, dumped it into a tub of water for about a week and it started to not only grow roots but bud back all over.
    Hmmmmm figured maybe it liked water, guess it does? Just decided to mess with it and those rocks one boring day and that's what happened.

I've defoliated it twice and the leaf size refuses to reduse so I guess I'll have to let the tree grow into the leaves.

Bob

• vzerominus
    14 years ago

that is really awesome. i REALLY like the 'roots in the water' aspect of it. if we could figure out the species i'd totally like to add one to my collection.

where are you in VN? I am Vietnamese but living in the states now.

• vzerominus
    14 years ago

Do you know if there are any other species that you can this with?

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did some searching this morning and it looks like the tree is lagerstroemia speciosa AKA; Queens Flower (Vn) bang-lang nuoc. It's a common 'street' tree here. The fruit nailed it because we have one in the courtyard at the school and the bats go nuts around it when it's fruiting.

I live in Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen province...ya, we just got nailed by that typhoon.

Many tropicals will adapt to living in water, ficus seem to be the easiest to adapt. In north America you have willows, and bald cypress to name 2. If you look back over the posts I put a few pics up of one bigger ficus growing ROR in water and another which is about to go into a tray of water.

If you want you can email me and i'll invite you to my Facebook, that will give you access to my bonsai albums.
    tuyhoabob@tuffast.net

Bob

• Jack Reynolds
    14 years ago

Very nice root over rock. Do you have any problems with the water going stagnant or do you just change it daily? What kind of fertilizer do you use in that situation? I have been considering doing something like that with willows in my area. It's good to see you back on the forum. Jack

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jack, first the infrastructure had to be repaired then my connection had to be re-strung...then it got ripped out by wind again so it had to be re-wired...again. Three weeks of hell but I was above the flood.

This time of year the water gets replentished naturally due to all the rain. The rest of the year it will evaporate fast enough that I'll have to add a few inches every other day. The biggest problem, like the ROR ficus and the other one that's going into the 'swamp' is, it becomes a hatching ground for mosquitos. I add a teaspoon of soap about twice a week to kill the larve...problem solved.

The fish in the 'pond' of the pot that has the big water jasmine in it eat the eggs and any larve that hatch so no need for soap there.

As far as feeding; most of the trees get a monthly dose of 0-16-30 fert. plus a little added phosphate from burned rice straw just thrown on the soil from time to time. Here in 'Mayberry' there aren't a lot of choices as far as plant food. When I get to Saigon or Nha Trang I have other things on my mind and forget to go looking.

Bob

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Almost forgot...I'll be gone for a while again. I have some time off so I'm packing up the motorbike and the 'Brat' and heading out for Da Lat the beginning of next week.
    She's never seen most of her own country and I have a buddy and his wife offering free room and board for as long as we want to stay.
    If I find any decent trees I'll take pics.

Bob

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Safe travels, Bob!
    Have fun, and we'll see you when you're back!

Josh

• Jack Reynolds
    14 years ago

I'll add my wishes for a safe trip to Josh's. Be well, Jack

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County