Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cymorill8

California seasons... or lack of.

cymorill8
14 years ago

I don't know how it happened, but my bonsai collection went from a five-year-old elm to a dozen nursery stock plants in training. Most all the information on these various plants talk about "before the first frost" and beginning trimming/pinching/cutting in spring, but I have a problem: I live in southern California 10 miles from the coast and there are no seasons. The coldest it gets is about 40 at night and 60 during the day in the mid winter. Some of the deciduous plants don't even loose their leaves! Many of my plants put out buds in February and again in late summer. This year we had a week of rain in August, unseasonally cold northern winds for a week, followed by a week of Santa Anas that brought temps up to upper 90's. Even my wisteria put out a new crop of leaves, and all the plants in my yard seemed to think it was a second spring!!!

Getting to the point: Is timing for pruning/repotting based solely on the growth of the plant? I have read that they respond as much to the length of days as to the temperature. If, in future, we have "two" growing seasons in one year, should I take advantage of the opportunity for additional pruning? How should I plan when there really no seasons to speak of in my area? A few days of hot weather in December can set my roses blooming all winter, and I worry that my pines and junipers won't get the dormant time they need, even in the shade. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)